Old CDs and records

I just came to the very belated realization that my many years’ collection of thousands of CDs  and (most likely) records are probably extinct and hence worthless. Unless I go through the arduous task of cataloguing each and every disc for resale, the mass collection is just so much junk. 
I could donate the collection.  But, at this point, does anyone want antiquated technology when streaming is so easy and prevalent. 
Anyone have any ideas?

128x128rvpiano

1st just because there  is streaming CDs and vinyl are not extinct if they were the equipment available today and that continues to be rolled out wouldn't be available. Also browse threads on here or WhatsBestForum, as well as member systems on both and you'll find plenty with high quality associated gear.

You characterize your 1000 or so collection as  "the mass collection is just so much junk" . Do you characterize it this way because you think that CDs and vinyl are extinct; or because it is in poor condition; or is it because you don't think the titles are of interest to anyone? 

My local used music dealers tell me interest in cds seems to be on the upswing and sales are up. I think there's always going to be a segment of music lovers who want to own their music. That said, extracting maximum value from a music collection of any format entails doing what you want to avoid: cataloguing, grading, and individually listing a sale for each item. Sometimes sellers on eBay group multiple releases by one artist or related titles in a specific genre and sell them in small batches for a discount over individual prices. If you have a collection of unusual or esoteric artists or high end classical labels, I have seen those sort of collections sell for good prices in larger sales groups.

I would buy the CDs in a heart beat, I just bought a box of 100 from someone.

Why? Because I rip them all to my music server in FLAC and kick back on my sofa browse and play music.

I stream but just when making dinner, something like that. I don't feel that streaming is all that and I am just old school I prefer to have my music on a physical medium that I can pickup and touch.  And I don't feel that streaming HD has surpassed the quality of CD by a significant margin.

But thats just me.

@rvpiano 

Antiquated? Hardly. Look no further than the strength of Discogs to understand physical media still has much value. I purchase used LP’s all the time, and also occasionally a CD here and there, but not as much as LP’s. Heck, I still occasionally buy cassette tapes if I know they are quality (late 80’s into the 90’s were what I feel the ‘golden age’ for cassettes).

My preference is still physical media, and I know I am not alone.

It would take time, (it does, I’ve done it), but you might want to consider cataloging your collection on Discogs, you might be surprised their value in total.

Yep, true.

I just gave away about 700 to an aspiring audiophile who doesn’t yet have a complete system. They are worthless. I still have 1,500 in racks that are working as diffusers. I haven’t played one in six months or a year.

My streamer sounds the same and usually better… on the 500,000 high resolution albums available on Qobuz. The age of the CD is over for audiophiles. I just upgraded my vinyl system. It sounds the same as my streamer… occationally slightly more detailed… but not really obvious. I’m an old fart, so I kind of like vinyl sometimes for the nostalgia.