I wasn’t sure where to classify this…

So this isn’t specifically audio focused, but people here understand things like

power management, THD and so on.

I moved from So-Cal where all I had to worry about was having a UPS for a 30 second or less power outage.  Now I live in So-Alabama where hurricanes could potentially take power out for up to 2 weeks!

in said situation, whole house backup generators are extremely

pricey!  I have a regular construction generator I want to use as an emergency backup, as well as a battery backup UPS on my computer.

this is a non-inverter generator, so it’s dirty power.  lol my

UPS protect my computer etc, and regulate the large THD issues, or do I need something to help adapt?  Since this is for backup, and I don’t plan to run my high end theater equipment on it, it’s merely asking advise on equipment that would help me not fry my computer in a 5-10 day power outage with dirty power.  Is the UPC enough?  Do I need more?

maverick3n1

A few years back, we lost power in a small village in NY less than an hour fron NYC. My parents home was out for 11 Days. My brother set up his diesel arc welder that had a 50A 120/240V output to power the main house, garage, and tenants house. It ran fine, except needing to shut down for 100 hour maintenance including oil changes. Your generator sounds plenty big enough for your needs. The power is "dirty" because the frequency isn't stable. This won't make a difference to switch mode power supplies. But, get UPS units that will run on, and clean up, the dirty generator power so you can keep them on-line and get the batteries charged right away. You can put your entertainment system on an appropriate sized UPS to run that as well. My system has 2 x ARC D200, a Parasound A21 and a Kenwood M1 as the major power users. I figure a single 3KVA or 3 x 1500VA would suffice to power the entire system.

@maverick3n1 ​​@tablejockey ....as a SoCA expat (born ’51) who left ’90...

Haven’t regretted that call at all...even after some 15 yr in the Bay area when it was ’pre-digited’ and still pleasant to live within.

Paused in Houston for 15 for it’s ’bounce-back’ from that crunch, where the humidity was one’s worst enemy for half of the year.

We visit periodically...that’s enough for ’verification’ of a good idea taken twice.

15+ in West NC allowed us to grow a reasonably successful business in a city that is ’booming’ yet again. A substantial improvement over our previous locales....

Back-up power in hand (shop generators); worst issue becomes flooding but we’re above 100 yr. zones but fuel will be the crux for us as for all....

You couldn’t drag us back. ;)

Computer use during a natural catastrophe would be a luxury for anyone, more so use of one’s audio gear. One ought to be up to one’s keister in dealing with the potential damage ’n chaos, rather than ’I haven’t listened to a LP/CD/Stream in days’ concern....

...I would think. I realize That (thinking) might a source of disillusionment on my part and a given Fail by some others but they’re subject to that from my POV as well... *L*

Happy Stunday, J

Been through 3 hurricane evacuations. Never left myself as I work in a hospital and my obligations were to the care of my patients but my family evacuated with each of them  Lost 850 foot dock in one of them. House never got damaged. It gets really freaking hot in a house in the South within 24 hours of no central air. Gaming and music will be the last thing on one's mind. As others have already stated, you have no idea what kind of damage exists around you until it ends and the sun comes up. You wake up from a terrible night's sleep, if you slept, and look around and sometimes the devastation is jaw dropping. Sometimes it is better than predicted.  My advice is to evacuate when told to do so. Either leave days before everyone evacuated or set off in the middle of the night. 

@asvjerry -- It sounds like you are thriving in or around Asheville, North Carolina.  I grew up in East Tennessee and have lived in Central NC since 1985.  Fantastic part of the Country.  If I'm correct about Asheville...indeed it is booming!

@allenf1963 ...Read btwn lines, you have... ;)

The natives aren't thrilled 'bout the growth, since rents and home prices have ballooned like most elsewhere.  Spouse & self passed this way some 30 yrs. ago after SF, her family ended up at Winston/Salem....it became the next 'go towards'...

Audio here is Best Buy, Guitar Center, and various AV install firms....a.k.a, a desert.  If there's better, it's a well-kept secret....
Yes, there's Atlanta.  Overnights for audio v. ATL traffic have little appeal, but combat traffic after L.A. only makes me brush up on driving skills best left there. ;)

What desires I have fill fine with the 'net...SOTA I'll leave to y'all to enjoy with the thinner wallet. *G*  I've gotten good at blood from stone....*L*

...at least the kind I thrive on....*meh heh heh* 😏

Central NC...*hmmm* Charlotte, Greenville, Triad....

Ready for our summer T-storms, humids, 'n heat? 

Thought so....after HOU, learned to cope.... *L*