Was my friend given misinformation.

My friend is just getting into audio for a music system. In his price rang I thought the Rogue Sphinx V3 would be a nice choice. He could also look at the Revel Concerta 2 line of speakers. Well he decided to stop by Magnolia at Best Buy.  Not a bad setup he got a Denon 3700 AVR and a pair of B&W 603's. He said the salesman told him to stay away from integrated amps as they are not anything but stripped down AVR's without the features. So I guess all us owners of 2 channel preamps and integrated have been duped. Who knew??

luxmancl38

So to the OP's question, there is likely a kernel of truth in the statement. In the mass market that he serves, that is liekly the case. I would guess that every major manufacturer has a basic line circuit, power supply design, volume/remote ciruit etc. A simple integrated amp is those sans the additional doo-dads like dolby surround etc.

But what's an integrated amp at its core? Answer: a preamp and a power amp in once chassis, with significant savings, and no wires.  After decades of contract design and input in high end I'm back to designing my own stuff (maybe for market if the supply chain ever un-knots) and guess what I'm starting with? Yup, and integrated. It just makes sense if convenience and cost are a factor at all.  So in theory, IMO, its the perfect package.  Further integration (e.g.: on board DAC) comes with tome packaging and power trade offs that i dont wish to make, but combining the power and pre sections is quite manageable (biggest issue: controlling power supply noise from the big honking power output stage - and i figured out how to do that).

Remember also that at best buy the models are typically made specifically for big box sale and are not the "reference" series others carry.

@russ69 I have a friend who asks my advice and then asks all our friends for advice, then doesn't listen to any of it.

I know the type!

Sometime around 2009 I went into Circuit City to buy a new U2 DVD that came out that day. When I couldn't find it on the shelf (why would it be on the shelf when it's brand new?...) I asked the sales person if they had it. His response was: "YouTube? On DVD?"

I rest my case.

Let it Ride is maybe the worst movie I have ever watched (in its entirety). Thought it would get better. I can't believe Richard Dreyfus did it. Must have needed the cash.

The OP didn't mention whether his friend also was going to put it in a room with a TV and if he wanted surround sound (or whatever format they're pushing these days). If he is just getting into music and still will be needing a movie experience, it probably was an OK decision.

I'm happy with a 2 channel with an excellent integrated amp (Plinius) and don't care about the sound coming out of a Sony TV. My cable box used to have an audio output that I plugged into the integrated so I at least got 2 channel sound out of my stereo, but the new one with 4K doesn't have it, so for video, I live with the crap sound. I'm not outputting my TV audio into my amp (if it even does that).

Some of the Magnolia guys do know a lot. They're not supposed to let the regular best buy guys who focus on computers and phones into that department, and in my experience, they will tell you they are just covering for somebody. As a matter of fact, when I was looking at TVs a while back, I started talking about stereos and the guy introduced me to power conditioners and how it could help the SQ. This was before my Audiogon days. I ended up buying a used PC from a stereo dealer I knew (retired),  but probably wouldn't have gotten one for a decade (or so) later.

Plenty of stereo store guys don't know their ass from a hole in the ground (or are so biased it is ridiculous). Especially regarding turntables (if they carry them at all).