Soundstage and image height, does it exist?

On another site, there is a discussion on soundstage, and there are a few people clamming, that, since there is no vertical information encoded on stereo recordings, that soundstage height does not actually exist. It is a product of our minds filling in missing information. 

Are they correct?

Please explain your position, with as much technical details as you feel needed.

128x128simonmoon

A narrow floor-to-ceiling line source like the Carver speaker will do this better than any speaker with multiple drivers of varying sizes (B&W, Focal, Magico, Wilson ... as examples).

The Pipe Dreams speaker comes to mind - a favorite of Harry Pearson! It too was a tall line source.

Third, I can recall listening to the astounding width and height of the sound field produced by the Harold Beveridge ESL (back in '78). 

Volume can play a big part in getting the illusion of height. At least in my room. Low volume keeps everything closer to the level of the tweeter/your ears. At a moderate increase in volume every thing seems to open up. Just don't overdrive your room - sounds like crap. FWIW.

@riley804 

´´ why are people so worried about what others think or say on certain topics and then have to get others opinions ? ´´

You must be a very interesting person to talk to.

I hope you behave differently with friends and life partner .