Speakers to consider around 5k used?

I'm a newbie to the high quality world of audio. I'm interested in getting a decent system together. I'm looking for the highest quality speaker in the 4-6k range used. My listening habits are eclectic. Primarily Electronic, Rock/Pop, Classical/Soundtrack, and Traditional/Folk. My room size is an average sized USA house living room. I don't want a speaker that is overly detailed or bright that leads to harshness or fatigue, neither one that is too warm or veiled. I want a neutral speaker that is realistic and true to source without being difficult to listen to, especially in the highs. I am starting with the speakers, and have no other hi-fi equipment. However, I'm considering a network DAC player for my source.

What speakers should I be looking at and which are the best in this range available?

Thanks
Aqua
aquablu8
You got lucky. That almost never happens.

This seems an interesting, and debatable, claim -- perhaps we shd start a thread on it. Morgan seems to have had an experience like mine, and he's right that auditioning can be a PITA.

Four things the OP might try:

1. Local stores

2. Local owners, identified through the boards, who have things you might like, and will let you listen.

3. Travel to dealers, manufacturers, owners.

4. Travel to shows (assuming no local shows).

I've done some of all 4, since my work is flexible and involves some travel. In most places, 1 and 2 won't yield much, and it will be a happy coincidence if what's around is what interests you. 3 can result in informative auditions, but it is a lot of work, and may not, depending on your circumstances, yield many chances to listen. 4 is a lot of fun, and you get to hear tons of stuff back to back, but show conditions are often atrocious, and the people exhibiting are often harried and exhausted.

Which brings us to:

5. Arrange in-home demos with non-local dealers/manufacturers.

6. Take informed chances on careful used purchases.

I've never done 5, but I've heard of people having very good experiences; I'd not hesitate to try it with Zu, fr example, which is a great company. I've done a fair bit of 6, and while my good experience may mean I've "gotten lucky," it's not blind luck, since one can develop a set of parameters for their used search. For example, I, like the OP, and sensitive to edgy highs, and would therefore be reluctant to try a speaker with a metal tweeter unheard, and much more likely to try a silk dome. I might miss some things I'd like this way, I'm not shooting in the dark.

Anyway, I hope Aquablu has some fun, and doesn't stress to much about the possibility of mistakes.

John
Check out the Signatures SEs from Legacy. Legacy pound for pound dollar for dollar is the best value on the planet.If you can get a demo pair from an authorized dealer you get the seven year warranty too!
Aquabiu8

"What online dealers do home trials? Thx."

Try The Cable Company/Ultra Systems. They specialize in loaning out equipment. I've been doing business with them for over 15 years and have only good things to say.
Aquablu8,

I thought I put this in a thread yesterday, but I don't see it.

"What online dealers do home trials? Thx."

The best dealer that I have come across that does in home lending is The Cable Company/Ultra Systems. They specialize in lending out all types of audio gear for you to try in your home. I have been using them myself for many years and find them to be very honest and reputable. I would give them a call and see what they have to say. Their website is fatwyre.com. Over the years, they saved me from making many mistakes.

Also, I understand you can't always go out and listen to anything you like. It's very difficult. What you can do is listen to some stuff, even if you don't see yourself buying it. The reason for this is that you have a much better chance of using onto a website like this and getting and better results. For example, if you are interested in Speaker A but have not heard it, you can start a thread hear and list some of the speakers that you have heard, and weather you like them or not. That can help a lot in that it will give the people responding to your post a much better picture of what you like from a sonic standpoint. I hope this helps. I'm late and typing really fast so please excuse any errors and if I missed anything, let me know.
If Legacy does not have coverage in your area they may tell tell you they will send them and if you're not happy with them return them you pay the freight.
Not many get returned from my understanding.