$5K KUZMA TONEARM FOR ONLY $690! Gryphon Diablo for Only $699!

Audiogon is being infested by scammers! These are obviously fake ads designed to steal your hard-earned dollars. The thing that really irks me is that they were allowed to be posted. They all come from new members with zero feedback.

aisip

It isn't going away. As a matter of fact, it will probably get more intelligent. All you can do is protect yourself. Be vigilant. Don't buy if it doesn't seem right. Not buying it on the front end is much easier than buying on the back end and asking someone to correct the indiscretion. You can not expect the moderators to fix all of the unsavory transactions.

Sad thing is - even if the user id gets flagged the dirt bag might likely create another user id and repeat his antics.

same thing happened on ebay but in that case it was account theft (at least thirty) with which the scammer or scammers sold the same items with misleading titles and payments external to ebay; I reported the scam to ebay with links and screenshots for several months and the staff never did anything until I picked up the phone and was able to talk to a real person who took an interest in this problematic case which resulted in blocking the ads permanently scammers ... but I had to fight a long time to get all this.
Today a flight by plane costs relatively little and seeing for yourself the object you want to buy is the best thing!

I have been seeing the ads pop up every night. You are charged when you make a listing but the card might be stolen or you are sent a bill from AudioGon to pay. The ad might stay up a short time before it is caught. AudioGon is aware of the problem and looking for ways to resolve the issue. They are great to deal with compared to Ebay. I goes back to making it more difficult for the honest people to stop scammers. The ads are pretty easy to spot. Cheap price, Free shipping, small description, and the date joined is new. The link below seems still active as of May 20th.

It’s getting worse. Lately on-average I report 5-6 scam ads per night. 100% of those ads are from new ’members’ that joined the site on the same day as they placed the ad. Many offer free shipping and the asking prices are ridiculously low. Most ads have no descriptions other than info that is cut ’n pasted from  reviews and/or manufacturers websites. If the scammers attempt to do any additional editorializing their clumsy and awkward grammar is always an immediate tip-off.