Balanced versus single ended

From my experience, every situation that had both options, the balanced connection and/or increased gain sounded better, regardless of the bolume knob’s final position. More detail , air, emotional connection etc. The single ended cables used were good, not the bargain or so called high end extreme.

Sometimes using balanced or xlr it involved just the source, but optimally it carried through thd entire chain.

Anyways, my question is: has anyone ever thought that single ended sounded better?given the 2 options. Im only referring to a truly balanced connection.

I ask, because a manufacturer who makes tube amps, recommends single over balanced connection. Is there something else involved in this decision, additional parts or labor complexity? Is the signal path extended?

Thanks in advance

recluse

Hi @atmosphere, can you discuss what you just said in context with my Audionet Max amps and Pre G2 Preamp?  Thanks!

No- there is too little information on their website.

I didn’t read all the responses but I don’t know if anybody talked about, in true balanced, how one of the signal paths is inverted. So over the course of the cable if any RF or electromatic electromagnetic interference is introduced when the inverted signal is flipped back over at the destination those additions to the signal cancel out.  This is why XLR is especially good for long runs. The additional line for the single path is also responsible for the 6 dB gain

I didn’t read all the responses but I don’t know if anybody talked about, in true balanced, how one of the signal paths is inverted. So over the course of the cable if any RF or electromatic electromagnetic interference is introduced when the inverted signal is flipped back over at the destination those additions to the signal cancel out. This is why XLR is especially good for long runs. The additional line for the single path is also responsible for the 6 dB gain

Is that a description of CMRR?
(Common Mode Rejection Ratio?)

+1 to Ralph. I switched to Dif/True balanced systems decades ago. That said, I do find differences in mfg XLR cables (including length of identical cables), which could be the XLRs themselves, and/or quality of solder/ joints, as well as the wire, shielding, jacketing...

That said, I do find differences in mfg XLR cables (including length of identical cables), which could be the XLRs themselves, and/or quality of solder/ joints, as well as the wire, shielding, jacketing...

@tweak1 This is why I harp about AES48 and low impedance operation! If your gear is neither (for example any balanced ARC preamp and I'm not picking on them in particular) then you will hear cable differences. That's not supposed to happen. But too much 'high end audio' equipment does not support the balanced standard even though it really is otherwise balanced.