Need Recommendations for a pair of Speakers around $1,000

Hey All !

Ok, so with wife is good with spending about $1K on a pair of speakers.

I'm not sure of the preamp yet but the amp will most likely be an Adcom GFA-545 not the 545II.

I now have an older pair of Dayton Wright LCM-1's which are more suited to a smaller room.

The new speakers will be in the living room connected to the Adcom and also a signal fed from the TV but I don't want a multi-speaker system. Stereo is fine and if they sound good to me with music the wife will be happy with the TV sound. She just wants them to look good and not have a lot of wires hanging around. We'll be listening to vinyl, CD's, Lossless, FM and possibly music fed through Apple or AT&T fiber optic TV setup.

The living room is 19' w X  29' d with a 12' ceiling, hardwood oak flooring and 4 - 6' tall windows on one wall. The other side wall is open to a long entrance way and 2/3 of the far side is open to the kitchen are.

I thought about a used pair of Klipsch Hersey's but I keep reading comments that they are too outdated compared to advances in audio over the last few decades.

So for around $1K what are some good choices. I'm OK with used.

Thank you !

gorquin

List is really too long.  New or used.  Bookshelf or floor stander.  Need to do your own homework.  Read reliable reviews such as Stereophile or on-line.  You will get much better information that is from true experts instead of ad-hoc opinions here.

List is really too long.  New or used.  Bookshelf or floor stander.  Need to do your own homework.  Read reliable reviews such as Stereophile or on-line.  You will get much better information that is from true experts instead of ad-hoc opinions here.

I agree, but at least the OP has some names to start out with… so maybe it help?
Or like Devo says, “Freedom from choice” is what we want.

Focal is offering discounts on the Chora 806, which is a well rounded stand mount. Revel is offering 30% off M16s and F35s. If you are a tool using man, look at Parts Express kits. The Morel Ardon kit or the Amiga MT.  

@holmz Freedom of choice is what you’ve got here, but I am not sure if freedom from choice is what you want. Do your due diligence first and get the list down to three before home trials. Otherwise I could go with the flow here and throw in the recent hype: Revel M16 $693 pair brand new ($10 30 day home trial from Crutchfield) to show I am willing to help. But am I really helping?

Thanks for the input so far.

I'm not against purchasing new or older speakers but rather considering and relaying what I've read, mostly hear on Audiogon.

Yes, I have a large room to fill which is why I'm considering, among others, a pair of Heresy's.

And yes, the list of suggestions is long but much shorter than starting from scratch and I can take those suggestions, do some research and compare the possibilities.

I always take magazine articles and recommendations from sales associates with a grain of salt. There's typically some bias. Years ago I noticed while shopping musical instruments that if a store didn't carry a specific brand it was because it was $%&*, while another store would say the same about a different product they didn't carry but the product the previous store didn't carry that they did....was the next best thing to sliced bread. LOL 

I appreciate the suggestions here even more because no one has anything to gain by offering an opinion.

Much appreciated !