DAC-Help

Hi i have a Parasound DAC hooked up to a Denon CDP.I am using the Coaxial output.However i am using a Normal interconnect cable to hook it up,not the 75 ohm coaxial cable.I have noticed that the sound sometimes cuts off for a split second then comes on again.Could it be the cable??Is it absolutely neccessary that i use the right cable??Also i noticed that when i turn On and Off other electrical appliances in my hall the same thing happens.Could it be that my DAC is faulty. Any comments much appreciated.Thanks.
mrr123mrr8617
Just another possibility to consider...Lasers do burn out, and if your unit has been getting alot of use, it might be a cause. Typically when a laser is burning out, the sound starts to go blank for brief spurts.
Lasers do burn out, but the first thing to go on CD players is usually the tracking... In response to the original message, it could be the player or the cable. At the very least, get a 75 ohm shielded video cable, or go to the local music store (the type for musicians) and get a cheap digital cable. It also has to do with the bandwidth. Digital signals are at a much higher frequency. I only spent like US$10 for a 3 or 4 meter one, and it works fine.
Here's a quick fix for tracking that might just help. I had a Philips player that was getting very picky and fianlly wouldn't make it through an entire cd without hanging up. I took off the cover and very gently cleaned the rails that the laser mechanism rides on. Then I put a couple drops of Mobil 1 synthetic lubricating spray on the rails for lube. Instant fix! It has since been moved out to the garage for the past 2 years and has not acted up once even in the hot and cold. Do not try to cheap out and use regular motor oil no matter how light weight it is. The Mobil 1 is extremely slippery but also does not gum up like other lubricating oils. By the way, it also works great in guns.