mhdt Orchid - 192 sample issues

Hi all

I can't confirm if this has been the case since I got the unit, which wasn't a long time ago in any case, but today, when trying to play 192 sample rates using BNC and RCA I noticed that it doesn't work. If I use USB no issues, but BNC and RCA nothing.

RCA and BNC work fine with all other sample rates work fine, including 176,4kHz and 96kHz.

I'm using Roon / Qobuz with pi4 and a pi2aes. As mentioned, connecting the pi4 to the DAC using the USB works fine up to 192kHz, but with the digital out from the pi2aes I can't only use up to 176,4kHz and 192 either doesn't work at all (no sound) or, if I switch from USB to the other inputs it plays but with a lot of noise.

Any ideas?

Thx in advance 

Nuno

xpress_on

Digital Coax (RCA) doesn't support 192Khrtz while USB does. For the Orchid it doesn't really matter as it it only process 16 bit 44 /41 khrtz

Hi Danager

I just want to understand if there is an issue with my unit. The user manual says it support inputs up to 192/24 in all digital inputs including BNC and RCA

Maybe I’m missing something very basic.

Thx, Nuno

My Orchid does 192 over toslink from a Node 2i. Sometimes on older remaster upsampled tracks there’s some extra noise compared to other DACs, but converting back down to redbook can do that I guess. You could always limit Qobuz to a lower resolution. That works well for me. Qobuz does a better job converting down than the Orchid. Check the output limits on the pi? Not all s/pidf chips handle high resolution. 

Awesome and interesting article. Great things you’ve always shared with us. Thanks. Just continue composing this kind of post.

Dunkinrunsonyou