Just my observation - seems like there is less listed on AG

Seems to me like there is less and less gear listed on audiogon... compared to USAM.  Anyone else notice this?

joey_v

I tracked this site in the 90’s, then became a member 2001 or 2002. It was for hobbyists. Audiophile brands I’ve never heard of back then entered my vocabulary (Bolder, Krell, Classe, Levinson). I was also impressed with the standards back then. The grading system was a lot more accurate and you would only see (true) 8-9/10 products being exchanged on this site. You would never. see a Sony, Pioneer, or big box brand. It was for audio snobs.....a good thing because that kept our friends at E&@y from posting scratch and dent or repaired items. The fee was fair also. I left (but returned in 2016) when they upped the fee and taxed a percentage on your hard-earned equipment. I was just as mad as the day they canceled Monday Night Football on ABC. Not everyone could afford ESPN on cable. But to my point, the standards have changed here, I’ve seen everything pass through this platform. Now I see hackers posting Rotel MICHI and Levinson amps for $750.00 Ugh!

Post removed 

I have had nothing but good results with AudioGon.  I generally have thought that one reaches a higher quality of buyer here, but these days, I am not so sure, since I have bought a couple of big ticket items on USAM, and they seem to be overtaking (or have overtaken) Audiogon as the place to sell equipment.  I think that Audiogon has to wake up and smell the coffee . . . competition is competition and they are clearly losing sales to USAM . . . why pay anything when you can list for free and reach the same audience?

I think one of the issues is definitely that audiogon doesn’t condone conversations between members outside of audiogon

U S Audio mart has certainly progressed in the last few years and the buyers as well as the sellers have all upped their game, with that said I still use Audiogon to buy and sell when needed as what they offer is unique and on a larger scale, plus the forums are great to read and reference when needed. I do pay the $50.00 membership to USAM to give back for the free ads, which I have used quite a bit lately. Enjoy the music