How Electricity Actually Works

In November of last year I posted a Vertasium YT vid titled "The Big Misconception About Electricity".  Well it caused quite a stir and like an arachnid had many legs many of which attempted to draw A'gonrs into the poison fangs!

Well, here is the follow-up to that original vid which caused quite a stir in the "intellectual" community as well.

Vertasium "How Electricity Actually Works".

This does have implications for our audio cabling...

Regards,

barts 

128x128barts

@deludedaudiophile

The wind does not spin the propeller, it moves the car whose wheels are connected to the propeller causing it to spin.

I think that’s the key concept that allows the effect to happen. It still remains difficult for me to fully visualize. It's like a very good magic trick. It won’t work if you aren’t connected to the ground. Too bad, because then airplanes with no power plant could just magically make headway into the wind!

There are some interesting and amusing arguments regarding E and B fields and their uses in this thread. Some of what I read here makes me seriously wonder about our education system.

That is a bit of a drive-by @audio-union. Can you comment on what specific items are at issue and if they have been suitably addressed?

You mentioned not knowing a tenth of a percent.

The percentage of what we know about our universe, is recognized by Scientists/Physicists as 4-5%.

In order to put a percentage on what we don't know, you would have to know accurately what there is to know which is impossible if you only know 1/10% of 4-5%.  I am always amazed by just how much we collectively do know.

@jimrobie however, a DC distribution system would be quite complicated and would replace very simple devices (transformers) with very complicated devices for transforming DC voltages. DC arcing is must nastier than AC too. Even getting a high voltage DC shock is more dangerous. In our audio equipment, we would still need to convert from a high voltage to a low voltage. There is potential for power savings of course.

local 3 Phase DC

That would be AC at that point. You need changing fields to make the motor work. You could remove the AC to DC part, but would still need the DC to AC part.