Schiit Aegir pre-amp recommendation

I have a newly acquired Aegir and currently matched to Kef Ls50s with a NAD 326BEE as the preamp.

Does anyone have any experience with a non-Schiit preamp that matches well with the Aegir?

My thoughts: I've had a lot amps in my day and I think the Aegir is pretty darn good for what it is especially if matched with a class A pre (like the 326bee). I like it's small form factor and for a small room with the KEF LS50s it is pretty satisfying. So I liked to match it with a high quality preamp with remote and phono pre. Hopefully it's small form also but this along with the phono pre are not deal breakers.

I was thinking LTA MZ2. I like it's small form and that it will bring in a little tube softness.

Any thoughts hopefully someone with experience

lmartinez_02170

I have an Aegir that I really enjoy. It was originally paired with a Saga+ but the problem is that, as only a unity gain preamp, it was just a bit short in reaching my desired listening volume (about 85 dB max) even though the amp had power still available.

I ended up switching to a Schiit Lyr 3 which offers two gain levels (about 3db and 17 dB.)  The 3 dB gain boost was sufficent to give me the extra I needed, and the Lyr sounds just a good to me as the Saga. 

The Lyr does have some drawbacks -- it has only one input, and there is no remote, but I don't need either of those features so it is perfect for my situation.  (And, the Lyr also gives you an excellent headphone amp that the Saga doesn't have.)

So, just another data point for you.

I have LS50 Metas and just added a Freya + in front of my McCormack DNA-1 Deluxe.  I think the Freya + is an exceptional preamp.  It replaced an Adcom GFP-750 and an Acurus LS-11.  Both were very good solid state preamps for the money.   I disagree with the notion that LS-50s don’t pair with tubes. They do. If you’re really set against having tubes though, get the Freya S.  It’s $600 bucks and you can return it if you don’t like it in your system.  Happy shopping!

Forgot about the phono pre.  Add a Mani to your order for $149.  Still under $1K and should fit all your needs.

I am listening to a Freya+ and Aegir driving Dynaudio Special 40s and I love it. NOS Stlvania and RCA tubes in the pre. I dont know why you wouldn't get a Freya unless you dont want to deal with tubes. The standard Freya is cheaper than the + and is solid state only.