How do you make a final decision on a DAC

Thank you all for helping me along the way. I've been trying to decide on a DAC for my 2 channel system. I listen to JUST R&R  60's, 70's, 80's more or less and stream from my windows based Pc Via Amazon HD (which I really enjoy)  loudly currently through my Benchmark DAC 3B, and my Audiolab 6000 Transport. Associated equipment:  Should be here this week after waiting 7 months, ATI amp, 6002, Benchmark Line amp LA-4, Tekton SE Double Impacts and an SVS sb 4000 sealed sub. Really enjoy.  A ceiling of 5K is somewhat available, # 1 choice is Denafrips Terminator 2, (a little nervous as once you order it's yours) Audio Mirror Tubadour 3 SE, Aqua La Voce 3.  Don't really want a preamp/Dac combo, just a DAC. Listen in a very large shop area with great acoustics. ( just by chance.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Pulling hair out at this point, what little there is.  Thanks as always    Robert TN   ps service is a big priority!!!!

robshaw

Audition in your listening environment is the only way.

Any new component has to have synergy with your existing system.

Don't be influenced by a brand name, reviews or technical numbers.

Listen passively and, if you are drawn away from what you are doing by the sound, you will be on to something.

When you feel that you are being entertained more by the music and you stop thinking about your system, that will be a good indicator to help you make a choice. 

I would be interested to know what you don't like about the Benchmark? I am considering moving on from my RME ADI2--DAC, and the Benchmark DAC3 is being considered as its replacement.

I’ve got a very different suggestion & that is the Border Patrol DAC designed & built by Gary Dews in Maryland. He designs & builds really good tube equipment albeit quite pricey. The fully optioned model is just under $2K & sounds excellent! It’s a controversial piece which several well respected reviewers love & some hate because it doesn’t measure very well. 

I find it clean, tight but most importantly not at all fatiguing. It has one rectifier tube for the power supply which is not in the signal path. If you listen to R & R & appreciate  the sound of a hood turntable w/o typical vinyl drawbacks, check it out!!

I am another Denafrips fan.  I’m running a Gaia/Venus II combo and it’s wonderful.  Smooth as silk and easy to listen to, while still being very detailed.  I recently tried out the Classe Delta PRE preamp and it has an ESS DAC built in, and it didn’t even come close to the Denafrips combo.  (The Classe is still an amazing preamp, though).  Also, I have dealt with Todd and he fixed an Avatar CD transport that was a little off and did a great job.  Plus one Denafrips for me.

I like the ideas mentioned of waiting until the system is set up. You currently have a good DAC and based on how all the pieces work together may effect the direction you go with your potential new DAC.  A 20X30 foot area sounds like you have one of the best pieces of gear already..... a large room.