Musetec (LKS) MH-DA005 DAC

Some history: I was the OP on a four year old thread about the Chinese LKS MH-DA004 DAC. It achieved an underground buzz. The open architecture of its predecessor MH-DA003 made it the object of a lot of user mods, usually to its analog section, rolling op amps or replacing with discrete. The MH-DA004 with its new ESS chips and JFET analog section was called better then the modified older units. It has two ES9038pro DAC chips deliberately run warm, massive power supply, powered Amanero USB board, JFET section, 3 Crystek femtosecond clocks, Mundorf caps, Cardas connectors, etc., for about $1500. For this vinyl guy any reservation about ESS chips was resolved by the LKS implimentaion, but their revelation of detail was preserved, something that a listener to classic music especially appreciated. I made a list of DACs (many far more expensive) it was compared favorably to in forums. Modifications continued, now to clocks and caps. Components built to a price can be improved by costlier parts and the modifiers wrote glowingly of the SQ they achieved.

Meanwhile, during the 4 years after release of the MH-DA004, LKS (now Musetec) worked on the new MH-DA005 design, also with a pair of ES9038pro chips. This time he used more of the best components available. One torroidal transformer has silver plated copper. Also banks of super capacitors that act like batteries, solid silver hookup wire, 4 femtoclocks each costing multiples of the Crysteks, a revised Amanero board, more of the best European caps and a new partitioned case. I can't say cost NO object, but costs well beyond. A higher price, of course. Details at http://www.mu-sound.com/DA005-detail.html

The question, surely, is: How does it sound? I'm only going to answer indirectly for the moment. I thought that the MH-DA004 was to be my last DAC, or at least for a very long time. I was persuaded to part with my $$ by research, and by satisfaction with the MH-DA004. Frankly, I have been overwhelmed by the improvement; just didn't think it was possible. Fluidity, clarity, bass extension. A post to another board summed it up better than I can after listening to piano trios: "I have probably attended hundreds of classical concerts (both orchestral and chamber) in my life. I know what live sounds like in a good and bad seat and in a good and mediocre hall. All I can say is HOLY CRAP, this sounds like the real thing from a good seat in a good hall. Not an approximation of reality, but reality."

melm

The improvements on i2s over usb really depends on two things:

1. DAC's usb implementation - if they have proper galvanic isolation, the chances are the difference will be minuscule, if any.

2. How clean or noisy your music server/streamer usb output is. The noisier the server/streamer, the more difference it will make.

Over the years I have had many USB gadgets (Regen stuff) and different power supplies (both linear and custom designed hybrid smps) on my DIY music server. I have a Matrix X-SPDIF2 DDC as well. Currently I use JCAT XE USB powered using a custom designed LPS (in fact, the entire server uses a high quality power supply) connected to the DAC directly. No streamer or any USB dingleberries or DDC in between. I have used Audiolinux, Euphony, ArchLinux, Ubuntu and many others and have settled on Windows 10 pro that I have slowly optimized over time. In my experience with digital, a good power supply makes most of the difference.

@sns Yes it's unfortunate you never tried I2s but like myself I never believed it could be so good. It's just that Shenzhenaudio had a special on with free shipping and I had some spare change in my Paypal account, so I thought what the heck?

However with the Singxer SU6 you would have had to have gone to the major expense of buying a custom I2s cable.

You are completely correct about pre-amps, they are the heart of a system, well good ones are anyway.

Steve McCormack taught me a long time ago about SS vs valves but you need to pay much more to get a pure SS sound free of distortion. It's all in the design.

I don't know why Pass Labs (which I love) has to make a 3 box pre-amp ????

Spectral pre-amps are very, very special and they haven't upgraded their Super Veloce pre-amp for over ten years. I'm waiting!

BTW DACs just like pre-amps shouldn't have a sound, just give you more space, timing, realism etc. Everything else is colouration or House Sound.

Hi @lordmelton,
If I understand you correctly, you are NOT comparing going from the (Aurender by USB  to the Musetec) to going from the (Aurender by USB to the LKS and then by I2S to the Musetec).  Is that correct?  While that comparison does not permit you to do quick switching from one alternative to the other, it would be the most relevant comparison IMO.  

@debjit_g Totally agree on the usb galvanic isolation. What amazes me is so many of these off the shelf servers/streamers use usb off motherboards! How do they have the nerve to charge these prices for crap usb outputs, this is what gives usb bad name. The custom server I'll soon be hearing will have optical out as well as JCAT net femto card. Both guy building custom server and I use streamers so ethernet or optical (which means 2 ethernet ports or ethernet and optical)l out is a must with our servers. Antipodes is one of the few who gets this, they also optimize other ports with their servers. You're are also correct about quality lps for everything in network. Interesting you find Windows best OS for server, not the first time I've hear this. The custom server will initially use Linux OS, we've talked about possible use of Windows at some point.

@lordmelton You don't need custom cable with SU6, as SU6 has dip switches for proper pin configuration. The other thing I've often heard about I2S is cable length critical, shortest best, I had .5m HDMI cable. I've also heard I2S can never be optimally used with any external device as I2S was developed with very short signal paths that exist within dacs. Your take on preamps is certainly a valid one, however, I'm not sure a system built entirely of neutral sounding components is possible or even desired. I certainly like my source equipment to be neutral, this makes attaining system building a less complex undertaking. One then chooses pre's and amps according to one's preferences. Lack of neutrality in source components may cause dog chasing tail syndrome, always chasing down color balances to get things right. I'm one to keep amps and pre's for long term, my present pre and amps are likely end game for me, sources always far more subject to change for me.

@melm Hi, Yes it's not possible to switch on the fly between USB and I2s but it's irrelevant anyway because you have heard me mention that the XLR and USB outputs from my N20 into the 005 were infuriatingly similar with slight differences between formats.

Honestly the I2s gives such a large boost it leaves XLR and USB in the dust.

It's as I said, front row center, or a singer performing before you in a club. It's not forward, everything else is in focus, a wonderful transformation.