Upgrade Marantz 5004 CDP to what ?

Any help would be appreciated.I am currently using the Marantz 5004 CDP with an older exposure pre 17 and 18 mono blocks thru System Audio Mantra 10 speakers. System veers to slightly warm and musical side. I am sure few have heard this stuff besides the Marantz.

I want to spend under 1000 bucks on a stand alone cdp. I prefer used less then 5 years old. Looking for more detail a smooth sound which can expand soundstage particular depth. I listen funk blues jazz folk old R&B some 60s and 70 rock and sometimes new rock and classical

I was thinking Cary, Exposure or creek. Open to new suggestions.
darkstar1
Hi Darkstar1

Are you limited to CDP only? What about Blu-Ray or SACD players? I owned Marantz CD-5003 and when I moved to the Oppo BDP-83 I found sonic improvements all around in my system. At the $1000 range you could probably get an Oppo BDP-95 or Oppo BDP-105 used. For CD or SACD I liked the Pioneer Elite SACD PD-D9J vs the Marantz CD-5003 I had.

A CD player only I would look at the Emotiva ERC-2 or Emotive ERC-3 to replace your Marantz.

too complicate things further what about adding an outboard DAC and use your existing CD-5004 as a transport? You can get a Schiit Gugnir and a Black Cat Northstar 75 ohm Coax cable for under $1k.

Good luck with the search.
Post removed 
I appreciate all the responses. I am aware of the stereophile review. It is indeed a great CDP. I'm not really trying to tweak my timbre or sound. I just want more detail, more of a layered soundstage and maybe a little smoother sound. The smoother sound is the least important as it's pretty good in this area already.

I Did test the waters on a DAC using the 5004 as a transport. I had a rega dac fed with a cheap blue jeans cable. Problem was it was very little difference in sound presentation. I could not justify the cost of the rega. Also then you have to look at a better transport and a computer and then jitter and it just becomes to cumbersome. That is why I am looking at a stand alone CDP.

I have looked at the jolida player. Some good talk about the it and some bad but interesting.

I am in a hard spot because my speakers and amps are not well known. But replacing the speakers is a non starter. I really think I would have to spend 2000 grand used to really get a nice upgrade.

It's hard to swallow that upgrading a $300 CDP is not the solution when my speakers and amp cost so much more.
You've obviously done your homework on this upgrade. I would suggest you try a different DAC; they come in all flavors.

To get the most out of a standalone DAC, a usb to spdif reclocker should be added to the chain. Both can be had for $1000.
Check out Audio Advisor; they have a 30 day return policy if you're not happy with the item. (and the Blue Jeans cable is quite decent).
I still say that a preamp is most likely the best upgrade. That said:

"05-14-14: Bob_reynolds
From JA's measurement sidebar in Stereophile:

The Marantz CD5004's measured performance indicates that its intrinsic resolution is better than is needed by the CD medium. That it can offer this level of performance for just $350 is astonishing.

I'd look elsewhere than the source for the sonic tweaking you want. Speakers would be my first choice, but maybe a tube buffer would get you there.
Bob_reynolds (Threads | Answers | This Thread)

05-14-14: Darkstar1
I appreciate all the responses. I am aware of the stereophile review. It is indeed a great CDP. I'm not really trying to tweak my timbre or sound. I just want more detail, more of a layered soundstage and maybe a little smoother sound. The smoother sound is the least important as it's pretty good in this area already."

You're only focusing on half of a CD player here. The digital half. To be successful, you need to consider the analog portion as well. That has at just as much, if not more, to do with how a player sounds. A good place to start would be to look at CD players that are made by companies that make other products you like. For example, I like Ayre. The Ayre "house sound" is present in all their products (at least I think so).

Now look at this quote:

"It's hard to swallow that upgrading a $300 CDP is not the solution when my speakers and amp cost so much more."

Nothing could be further from the truth. Sometimes the cheaper component sounds better. Just because something costs more doesn't mean its not as good. Going by price, I feel, is not the best way to put together a system. Pick your components based of sound quality.