How do you judge audio components and speakers?

I would say - listening to music you're familiar with, and comparing. We can talk about tight/bloomy bass, midrange clarity, treble extension and things of that nature. We can also be very specific with regards to how a particular track is supposed to sound; based on high-performance gear that we were able to experience - but only if it purports to be accurate without sonic colorations. Therefore, I guess you could say we have a reference point. This part is what I would consider "objective performance." 

Along with this, measurements go hand-in-hand.

On the other side of the coin - subjective performance is how we "want our systems to sound." If the vocals are too bright or sharp, if snares or unpleasant sounding instrumentals ruin an otherwise good song, it's usually because the system is too accurate. So high-end audio is about chasing an ideal that doesn't exist in reality - but in the minds of audiophiles who are seeking a very particular kind of sonic presentation that bodes well with their music library as a whole....giving you just enough detail to keep you interested, while at the same time having a sense of realism, presence, and imaging that makes the speakers dissapear. We are seeking the illusion of a live performance.

The above are just my points. Feel free to share what you think. If you think I'm wrong, I don't mind. 

Cheers.

Jack

jackhifiguy

I tried to count the number of "Post Removed" notifications, but I ran out of fingers and toes.  That's the only way I know how to count and I can't "carry the one", so can someone else give me the tally?

This thread went downhill faster than Putin's "special military operation".

It only takes one person to turn it into one and he's on full display here.  However, many/most of the regular posters are not like that and there is a lot of knowledge and experience shared here.  I'm surprised the moderators didn't ban the jerk on page one...i thought repeatedly insulting someone led to that ?

There are certain poster that ONLY show up to be a problem for other's, WATCH. No other reason to even post. AND they have NEVER bought a single thing to support AG in ANY WAY.. Shouting is fine, especially when it's not your business. Post your 2 cent's wort.

The rest is purely to sucker you into it's goo!!! Swat Splat. Swat Splat!!