Question about Cartridge Loading

Hello All,

Out of all the different audio components, seems like the phono amp is still something that I am trying to understand.

I have read much about it here on the forums, google and YouTube.

But I haven’t really come across a simple answer as to how different resistance (ohm settings) affects the sound and that is what I am trying to get to and understand.

I have very basic electrical knowledge but understand that the different cartridge loading values: 100, 200, 300, 47K, etc are different values of resistance.

By the way, I understand Gain. Higher the Gain, the louder it will be (ever so slightly).

Also, I am not worried about capacitance settings since I use a MC Cart.

So, in the most simplest terms, what I want to understand is if for example, if a 100 ohm setting is chosen on a phone preamp, does that mean the audio will be more open because there is less resistance compared to say a 600 ohm setting?

Would 47K damp the sound even more because it is a higher resistance value compared to 100 ohm.

In my mind, resistance means to push back or down, so I would think a lower ohm setting mean that audio output would sound more free/open not as veiled, perhaps more bass.

Am I thinking about this the correct way?

I know it’s probably not as simple as that.

Currently, I can’t seem to detect much different in the different load values with my phono pre-amp.

Anyways, any feedback would be welcomed.

As I said, I am looking for simple answers like: lower ohm setting equals more open sound and higher ohm setting equals more veiled sound (I’m sure I am totally wrong about that as there are many variables involved).

Thanks

Jay

128x128jay73

@lewm  : " cartridge was reviewed and the reviewer said performs just fine at 100 ohms that's is way out of your 10X rule. "

" lose some HF bandwidth.."  how much.Example?

Normally SPL goes a little lower.

R.

@lewm  : You don't posted then that could means you do not make your work yet  changing inductance values to looks its critical issue ( as @imhififan posted. ). Here we go with examples using HC and know the cartridge bandwindth:

L 0.5mH  and R 100 ohms  : 31.8 khz

L 0.4mH same R:  39.8 khz

L 0.1mH same R: 159.2  other example changing the R:

L 0.5mH  R 47k  :  14.9 khz. From 32 khz goes down 15 khz.

That calculator is a very good tool. Don't you think?

R.

That calculator is a very good tool. Don't you think?

Yes. Make sure that you don't confuse milliHenrys (mH) with microHenrys (uH)!

1mH is equal to 1000uH

So if you dropped 0.500mH into the calculator when it should have been 0.005mH, you'll get a bit of an error.