Headphones Newbie; Senheisser HD 800s or Focal MG Clear

Hi

I'm currently down to one pair of speakers, Quad 2905's. And because these speakers are with the repair technician on a continual basis, I need a backup. While another pair of Quads or another brand of speakers would be ideal, I don't  have that kind of money at the moment. So I've been thinking about buying a pair of headphones that punch above their weight class. My local Senheisser dealer says the HD800s and my Focal dealer says the MG Clear. I really like the looks of the Focal's and am leaning in that direction. I'll just use the headphone input on my ASR Emitter Exclusive II. All suggestions are appreciated, thank you!

goofyfoot

@yage I wanted to get away from planar headphones as I have Quad Electrostatic Speakers and wanted something different.

Headphones are very sensitive to the quality of the input. Less than great electronics and great headphones and you are going to hear it.

I now have about $15K of incredibly naturally sounding electronics behind my headphones… they all sound fantastic… Focal Utopia, Sennheiser HD800, Beyerdynamic T1, Audiez LCD, Ultrasond Edition 9, and Denon 5000 (?)… etc. You can see my headphone system under my user ID.

@ghdprentice I have a highly thought of amp but still I'm under the impression that certain headphones/speakers match better than others and I can only afford one pair of headphones. But yesterday my car was totaled from a hit and run accident so now I need another car.

OP,

Sorry to hear about the accident. Hope you were not injured.

I have had many headphone amps, streamers and DACs… many highly regarded. The headphones performance typically very different depending on the electronic / headphone. I found the difference in headphones accentuated by say, too little current, or high frequency hash, or cold presentation… etc. headphones are in your ear… so any deficiencies in the signal combine with the character of the headphones. I am constant surprised how similar my Sennheiser HD800 and Focal Utopia now sound. I guess my only point is that the whole signal path is important in what you get out. 

@ghdprentice I’m fine, a sore knee and neck but nothing serious, thank you.

Unfortunately, I am without a headphone amp and I’m reliant on the plug input on the front of my amplifier. However, I may enjoy good results regardless. If the Focal Clear MG’s require less power to drive but are still hifi sounding phones, that seems like a more hopeful option.