Headphones Newbie; Senheisser HD 800s or Focal MG Clear

Hi

I'm currently down to one pair of speakers, Quad 2905's. And because these speakers are with the repair technician on a continual basis, I need a backup. While another pair of Quads or another brand of speakers would be ideal, I don't  have that kind of money at the moment. So I've been thinking about buying a pair of headphones that punch above their weight class. My local Senheisser dealer says the HD800s and my Focal dealer says the MG Clear. I really like the looks of the Focal's and am leaning in that direction. I'll just use the headphone input on my ASR Emitter Exclusive II. All suggestions are appreciated, thank you!

goofyfoot

I typically switch between my Sennheiser HD800s and my Focal Utopia’s. They are both great headphones. But the Focal are a lot easier to drive. The Sennheiser did not not sound as well balanced and natural until I put about $15K of outstanding electronics with a tremendous tube amp (a 300B Woo headphone amp) behind it.

I definitely recommend the Focal… easy to drive, great resolution and bass… even tonal balance. If you have got the power and natural organic electronics… then the Sennheiser (I would not count on a tap on a preamp… typically you need a dedicated head amp to drive a great headphone like the Sennheiser HD800.

I listen to my sennheiser 800s more now… but Focals before my I bought my tubed Woo amp.. with $2K of 300B tubes.

Here's the technical data for my amp but I'm not sure where the headphone plug fits into this;

Technical data (according to manufacturer):
Output power: 2 x 250W/8Ω, 2 x 450W/4Ω, 2 x 800W/2Ω
Total harmonic distortion: <0,02%
S/N ratio: >90dB (1W/8Ω)
Frequency response: 0,2Hz-500kHz (-3dB)
Input impedance: 10kΩ
Dimensions: 570 x 440 x 230mm (amp) + 2 x 460 x 320 x 160mm (power supplies)
Weight: 47kg (amp) + 2 x 32kg (power suppli

I think the main issue here is the output impedance of the headphone socket from your amp. If it's high, you're better off with headphones that have a flat impedance curve so that the overall tonal balance isn't affected. Usually this means a planar headphone from the likes of Audeze or Dan Clark Audio.

I just sent my Focal Clear MG back to Music Direct. I tried for 2 month to break them in and they did not sound that great!!

@viablex1 Could you explain what sounded objectionable. Were you using a preamp, headphone amp, etc...?