Vandersteen 2ce questions

I have been upgrading my system over the past few months. My newest upgrade is some older Vandy 2Ce speakers(not sigs) replacing my little Jamo E855s. My system is now NAD c370, Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista DAC, and Yamaha dvds-1800 as a transport.I know its nothing special compared to people's systems on Audiogon, but I'm a single parent and my budget is low enough to be almost non-existant. I am wondering if I'm doing something wrong with the Vandys. The lierature that came with them says they go to true 30hz, but they dont have the bass slam that my little jamos do. I've moved them all over the romm(about15x23). Wood floors with nothing on the sides and about 24 inches behind them.I wanna love these as they cost me more than everything else put together. I'm really pleased with the mids and highs, and get ALOT more detail from these than the jamos. I just want more bass and cant really use a sub because I'm in a townhome. Any advice for this newbie?
biffrythm
Biffrythm
Glad to hear you made progress.
The Vandy owners manual is the best place to start for those of us who think we are there.
The Laser nails the focus further with fine tuning.
Enjoy JohnnyR
Its great to see that you got the speakers working. I have a question, though. What did you actually do to fix the problem. You say that you measured your room. Given that, I have to assume that it was a placement issue.
It was mostly a placement issue. A friend came over that has owned 2Ce sigs for years. He did the lions share of the placement. After that I was getting great deep lows, but not at the volume of the mids and highs. I rolled the mid and high levels back to -2db and engaged the tone stack on my NAD C370. The controls are still flat but the bypass is no longer engaged. I am damn satisfied with the sound I'm getting.
The speakers themselves don't seem that far off from where I finally had them. Just a little but they are tilted back a little further.
Also must admit to phase issues. I don't know how, though. the cables are Audioquest bi-wire(1 set of bananas on amp end, and 2 at speakers). My buddy unplugged treble on speakers and the lows didnt sound too low. He then unplugged the red and switched it with the other red and the lows were much deeper. then hooked up the treble again. I don't know how this would cause phase issues as the black still went to black at all points, but It was not a subtle change.
Its an impedance issue. Even though you have 2 sets of speaker cables going to the same speaker, they still have to be connected properly to work. The circuit that is completed when both sets of cables are used in a biwire config. are not the same in terms of resistance. In your stereo, resistance is tied with frequency. The higher the note, the higher the resistance. The crossover in the speaker only allows for certain frequencies to pass (High and Low, in your case). The set of speaker cables that go to your highs shows a higher level of resistance than the set that goes to the lows.

Simply put: Be more careful when you hook up your speakers.