recommended speaker cables and interconnects

trying to upgrade step by step my stereo system, after not dealing with it for awhile.
right now have 3 kinds of speaker cables.
old audio quest , and an old monster cables.
a bit newer Kimber cable that are too short for my current configuration.
for interconnects, one pair of MIT mi-330
and one pair of Audioquest Ruby 2.
looking to upgrade for moderate price.
can’t give a budget range cause i am not familiar with the prices .

stone1

Hey @bobbyloans,  I also had the Parasound Pre/Power set up, Mine was JC2/JC5.   I'm writing in past tense because I recently got a new preamp from Cary.

Anyway, I was using Kimber Kable Hero balanced for my digital chain:  Streamer -> Pre -> Power, and was mostly happy with them.  I think they are pretty good cables for the price.

I recently upgraded from Hero to their Select line, specifically the KS-1116, and got a nice improvement especially from Pre -> Power connections.   I then was comparing the Kimber Select with Cardas Clear Reflection for my Streamer -> Pre connections.   They both sounded pretty good, and I ultimately kept them both, and for now I'm using mostly the Cardas for Streamer -> Pre connections.  The Cardas has a bigger soundstage, and nicer separation of instruments, whereas the Kimber Select is a tag fuller on the bass.

I know there are a lot of believers on using a full loom of cables from the same manufacturer.   I try to follow that path myself, but ultimately I let my own ears to make the decision.

Kimber Kable does sell directly via their website, and has a very generous 60 days home trial policy.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the input. It does help. My slight OCD want me

to keep all the same cables throughout so I’m going to research why you mentioned. I’m also thinking future for the rest of the home theater interconnects and will probably stay within the same line. 

Search “Silversmith Fidelium” on the Forum. You will see that Pretty much everyone who bought them say the same things. That they are the best they have used. I replaced very fine $6K speaker cables that are now relatively junk in comparison. For $1200 an eight foot pair, they are one of the best bargains in the biz. I agree that there is a synergy when using all the same brand. Silversmith will have IC soon if not already. Even if you don’t get the new ICs, get the Fideliums.

There is also a trail period.

I’ve heard a bunch of recommendations for the same stuff over and over, yet when it came to where I dropped my hard earned $ for interconnects it was Hapa Audio that blew everything else away. Known more over on AudioCircle, Jason is a one (possibly two) man show and does phenomenal cables. They are not real cheap, but comparatively speaking I have been able to put off big time gear upgrades because the cables boosted performance beyond what I ever thought could be done. At that point, his cables are an absolute bargain.

Hapa Audio

For speaker cables, if you’re handy with a soldering iron then have at a DIY set for pennies on the dollar. I made a set that took me most of a day to build, and were a big improvement over the Audioquest I was using. I finished mine in KLE banana plugs, but most importantly just don’t use gold or anything plated over brass. Yuck.

DIY speaker cables

Another option for DIY or if you feel like just paying someone else to make you a top notch set of speaker cables, look at the GR Research. It’ll run you a few hundred $, but again a bargain compared to a similar performing option from another big name operation.

GR Research cables