Audio Research REF 80S Reviews/Comparisons

Would love to hear some opinions regarding the new REF 80S and how it compares to their previous generations of amps.  Here is my ARC amp story.

Classic 120 mono blocks - Played much stronger and more dynamic than their modest 110 wpc rating.  I found them very musical and enjoyed immensely for about 2-3 years.

REF 150 (nonSE) - This was an upgrade in all aspects.  I only sold due to the next entry

GSi75 - This was a diversion I made last year as simplification gained priority in my mind and I loved the aesthetics of this masterpiece being center stage on my shelf.  I still believe it is a phenomenal integrated for someone that has efficient speakers, which I do not(89db).

REF 75SE - This amp is far superior compared to the GSi75.  I find its power more comparable to the REF 150.  I wish I had them to A-B.  I was happy with the REF 150 and I am happy with this.  

I am in no hurry to get a REF 80S...maybe in a few years when it is replaced with an SE model and the price comes down on the S.  
dhite71

FYI… on power cords for your new Ref 80’s. My REF 160s (same design) is very sensitive to changes in power cords. I have been tried all versions of Cardas Clear… in my system they are all warm… but attenuate the details a bit too much… although has more detailed upper bass. I tried Transparent (not the ones specifically made for an amp) this was great on details but the bass lost heft. So, I tried a Audio Quest Monsoon and seems just right. I bought one… I may try a Dragon sometime, a member here recommended it.

The difference between the Cardas and Audio Quest was not subtle at all. Actually a bigger difference than between the REF160s and the REF160m monoblocks.

BIF, thanks. I could be mistaken but I don't believe ARC has authorized repair facilities any more. And I don't mean to argue unnecessarily but I have the personal view that phase angle means far more than nominal impedance. "Nominal" has a meaning-"of name". It along with claimed sensitivity means little. 

@ghdprentice Thanks!

@fsonicsmith - I agree that phase angle is important.  If the speaker's phase angle is highly capacitive at low frequencies and the impedance is also low, most techs would say that the amp should be able to produce a lot of current to get the speakers to hum.  I am not sure I agree with your comment that speaker sensitivity means little.  I surmise that my Ref 80S can drive my S8s with little trouble because the S8s are very sensitive (92db).

Let me challenge point you about finding an authorized ARC service center.  Greg made a few suggestions to me last year.  I have no reason to believe that the situation has changed.  Best to call Greg.

Last, .... if you don't mind, what specifically is ailing your amp?  Do you know?  What is the problem? 

Most of the passives (resisters, caps, etc) are low tech items.  If something in the power supply regulation circuit went bad, ... that could be a different story because the Ref 150SE has a solid state power supply.  It may be that a qualified tech could do the fix if the problem is not that technical.  Again, ... best to call Greg.

BIF