"Too much gain"? (Cary SLP05 question)

A few days or so ago, someone had revived an old Cary SLP 05 thread, and common to that discussion seemed to be the subject of too much gain. 

My first question is:  does compensating for too much gain by simply adjusting the volume knob knob down degrade the sonic quality?

My second (2 part) question relates to this quote from one of the replies in that thread:

A quick note to Pass Labs and they suggested a pair of Rothwell 10db balanced attenuators into the amp’s inputs.

What exactly do balanced attenuators do to resolve this issue, and if placed between the preamp and the amp, would they degrade the signal path & therefore the sonic result out of the speakers?

I am a relatively new owner/operator of a SLP05 and it is in front of one of the earlier Cary V12s.  I did find those balanced attenuators on ebay for (I think I remember them being) $89 a pair, which I find totally doable.  I am lsitening in a (very) near field room right now, and it seem as if I do have a lot of gain.  Generally the big knob is on 9 o'clock plus or minus a little bit depending upon the source material I am listening to.  I am using the balanced ins and outs to & from my SLP05 and I have been given to understand that using RCAs would reduce the gain somewhat.  I do have some RCAs (I am presently using Kimber Silver Streak balanced interconnects) but my collection of spare RCAs is Kimber PBJ and Monsters. 

For $89 should I try putting a pair of those  of Rothwell 10db balanced attenuators into the balanced amp’s inputs?

immatthewj

Thank you again to all that have offered me input on this.

@twoleftears  for the moment I will single out your reply as I can answer these questions with concrete answers:

There are two issues here, does the volume pot have an optimal operation range (typically around half way between min and max), and does the way the volume pot operates at the moment give you enough fine adjustability to hit exactly the volume that you want to listen at.

#1  That would be about twelve o-clock, and if I put it there with anything but low level recordings, it would be blasting me out of my small listening room.  It would be LOUD.

#2 Yes, I can find a level that works for me, but it gets there quick.  As previously typed, usually around nine o-clock with some + or - depending upon the level of the recording. 

After reading through that revived SLP05 thread, it made me wonder and inquire if the same volume would sound better if I was obtaining it at a higher setting of the volume knob.  In other words, would my desired volume have a better sonic quality if it was achieved with the volume knob set to twelve o-clock or more as opposed to  nine o-clock.

@russ69   when you say that an attenuator "will drive the preamp harder," is the bottom line that this is what I want to do to achieve (at least "on paper") better sonic quality? 

"After reading through that revived SLP05 thread, it made me wonder and inquire if the same volume would sound better if I was obtaining it at a higher setting of the volume knob.  In other words, would my desired volume have a better sonic quality if it was achieved with the volume knob set to twelve o-clock or more as opposed to  nine o-clock."

The answer is likely no. By adding the attenuators you're adding another step in the signal chain. Most of us would agree that is a bad thing. Just paint a new indicator on the volume knob. 

The reason for having a volume knob in it's "sweet spot" is that's attenuating, or altering, the signal the least possible.  By adding in-line attenuators you're working counter to this.

I would be careful with the channel volume control versus main volume. I had to carry 05 for many years, my understanding is that maxing out the individual volume controls put them out of the loop, allowing for a more transparent/better sound. I mainly used the main volume as the volume attenuator, I did not use the individual channel controls.  I use a totally different preamp now, no issues with the gain.  

OK let me tell you my experience.  I have a Pass Labs CA160.8 amp connected to an Audio Research pre with Avantgarde horn speakers (16 ohm).  The gain matching was all wrong.  You could not move the volume button past a certain level without the speakers being ear splitting.  In addition the background noise was nearly as loud as the music.  Purchased a set of attenuators.  Problem solved.  Great sound … volume back under control and all background noise gone.  I bought Rothwell Attenuators on line.  You can select the amount of attenuation you like (recall there are three choices/levels).  Just buy these.  Price is OK and believe me they work like a charm.  Don’t cheap out to save $30 … these will likely be the least expensive bit of equipment you will have in your audio chain.

An attenuator **is** a volume control. So congratulations, now you have two :-)

Just turn down the volume. If its not tracking well, sure maybe you need to add fixed attenuation to get the volume control into its linear range (which is why i abandoned rotary volume pots  a while ago).

4 resistors will do the trick, set up as voltage dividers.  Simplest, least sonically detrimental approach possible.  About 20 cents plus fabrication and whatever hardware you choose to use.