Quality system, make poor recordings sound better?

I notice that as I move up the audio chain, poor CD recordings sound worse and the good ones sound superb, should this be the case? Also I on any given day my system sounds different even with the same CDs. Any thoughts on this as well?
phd
The true test of a good system is that you want to listen for hours on end and "recording quality" is not a deterrent but just part of the artistic presentation.

Also I don;t agree it can't be revealing and musical. It can. Just keep noise and distortion to a minimum. Then what is revealed is only what was intended. YMMV.
good point mapman . noise and distortion is a sound quality killer on any system
Also, one really needs to be a music lover. A music lover loves all kinds of music and will listen to almost anything at least once. That's me.

If you are not a music lover, there may still be good reasons to bother with any of this stuff, but not any that would pertain to me.
Home audio is the only place where the amateurs believe they know what works better than the pros. Go figure.
http://www.positive-feedback.com/ambackissues/atc.htm

read this review and take note of the last paragraph about less than stellar recordings sounding great