Has the cost of HiFi gotten a bit too much?

I don't have any specific example but just from looking at it overall, it seems like high-end components prices have really risen more than inflation.  

Or may be it is must me?

andy2

Femoore12

Thoughtful post. I agree most Americans are myopic, as are the majority of humans spread across the globe. Self centeredness is a basic driving force of survival. As to everyone having a voice, and even though I may find some reprehensible, I struggle with the idea that they have no right to be represented in the larger equation. I have faith that the majority will see the logic in win win decision making- taking into consideration the concept that some may obtain a larger portion of the win. I don’t see how we unwind some of those basic instincts of survival. In every species some form of Darwinism is evident. 

and back to the OP…….Corporations (people), are wired to maximize their return on effort. Nothing at all wrong with that concept. I assume some manufacturers see the ROI in mid-fi to the masses- and others are targeting the Uber wealthy who have the capability and desire to chase that last couple of percent. Even that group of buyers is maximizing their ROI…….They may have a different set of value requirements than you or me. Peace. 

Thank you thecarpathian. I have extreme faith in humanity. Rarely get to post but enjoy reading the banter.  The flu has provided me some additional time in my calendar 🙃

Adjusted for inflation I don't think HiFi is any more expensive that it was in the 70s. I remember paying over $450 for a Pioneer CTF-950 cassette deck in 1979. In today's dollars that's $1400. And I bought this while working as a stock boy in a grocery store. The big difference is I didn't have hundreds of entertainment devices competing for my money. No $1500 laptops, $1000 cell phones, $100 a month cell phone bill, $500 game consoles, $80 games, $300 concert tickets, etc. It wasn't uncommon for the average college student to assemble a setup that in today's dollars would be several grand. Sure we had to scrimp and save, but we just had different priorities.

@ghasley : clearly, you are unable to appreciate dark sardonic humor.

I also posted it as a way of protesting how off the rails off topic this thread became.