Power Cables and Wall Sockets

Without knowing for certain, it seems to me that power cables can only be as good as the in-home wiring coming to the wall socket. Is it possible that those who use expensive cables have improved the wiring to the socket? Or is the power from most wall sockets normally excellent, but is limited by conventional power cables?

128x128imaninatural

@clearthinker

I have swapped out power cords long ago to optimize them… but hadn’t touched them in a couple decades. When I did my last upgrade about a year and a half ago my new components used 20amp connectors to the components. All of my existing cords were 15a. So, I started with stock. Then my dealer lent my a bunch of Cardas. All my stuff is Audio Research. The DAC still had a 15a connector so I started there I had WireWorld, DH Labs, JPS, Cardas… hree different grades, and Transparent… and a couple more. The difference was pretty noticeable if you know what my system sounds like… particularly between the Cardas and others… Cardas wonderfully warm but lowering the details and tipping the balance too warm. The DH Labs and wire world were detailed but lost bass… Transparent just nailed it.. very detailed - natural sounding with great bass. The differences are fairly substantial. There was a clear winner… Transparent. I did this with each piece of equipment.

Then it came to my amp. This was much more problematic. The Transparent was just thinner (I was not using the cord made for amps… this might explain it)… but Cardas Clear Beyond was too warm… but the bass was outstanding… mesmerizing. I would occasionally switch to something else… but then have to go back to the Clear Beyond… but still not completely happy with the details… a bit too rosy.

Finally my dealer brought over a AudioQuest Hurricane. Wow… the difference is just plain huge. I can’t imagine anyone not being able to hear the difference (I have a non audiophile coming over this weekend to listen, we will see). Not quite a component level change… but close (much bigger than the switch to the REF 160 mono blocks from the REF 160 stereo unit)… but huge. The Hurricane increased drops the noice floor, solidifies images, and greatly defines the bass notes in space much better… all without overly warming the system and remaining natural.

My dealer dropped by to drop my TT off. Without explaining what I heard I had him listen to the Cardas then the AudioQuest. He then described what he heard…. And exactly described in virtually the same words what I had heard. A very big and profound difference all positive. In my system, the change bigger that the direct line I put in. The direct line made a large difference… this was bigger. They are additive so this is great. The direct line cost almost exactly what the power cord costs ~$1,700.

Anyway. I have not been dealing with every change sounding better, each being trade offs… but trying to get my amp (system) right… I am ecstatic to have found the right power cord for my amp. There is one AQ above the Hurricane… it has silver in it… I know that is going to give more details but will tip the balance to the treble. My experience definitely says I don’t need to try that one,

I can’t tell you how happy I am to finally found a solution for my amp. I have been struggling with this for a year. This power cord Is a very significant improvement for my system… a change in sound quality worth many times the cost. I originally thought it was a $5K power cord… I would have purchased it… it is worth the cost in my system… although I don’t have $5K to spend.

@clearthinker

Also. I have not played with the power cord for my turntable. My first reaction to changing power cords to a turntable is “how could that help”… but I know the only way to find out is try it. I have some other things I want to do to my system before fiddling with that.

About perceptions being psychological. They can be, mine are not. I am sure some folks are prone if new to the pursuit and inexperienced or overly emotional. I am very familiar with all the studies on preconditioning… etc.. my primary field of study outside of work has been metaphysics and epistemology… which has led to a study of consciousness and finally cognitive and developmental psychology… which oddly enough, in which my partner of 36 years has a Masters and PhD.

Anyway. I have spent many hundreds of hours observing and “measuring” the differences of different cables, interconnects, and cords. About twenty years ago I developed measures… different dimensions of how they effected sound… like tonal balance, micro details etc. I used a particular brand and model as a standard. Then rated them on scales of 1 to 10. Anyway… I really got in to it. I could come back months later an rate and hear exactly the same differences. Then occasionally some combination of equipment and cable or interconnect will have a huge effect. Anyway…. I can go on and on. If you don’t truly know your system and have not had a lot of experience and buy something well reviewed.. the confirmation bias and other bias’ can come into it. But, if you spend the time and are analytical you can easily dig below that level and make real comparisons of the actual sonic effects.

Please ignore those offering the best theoretical advice they know - w/o having heard the difference a genuinely good power cable can make in a typically competent, electrical system. 

Upgrading the socket to at least a hospital grade outlet or a better audiophile one further helps of course, as do other expensive, electrical system upgrades written about elsewhere, even more.

@ghdprentice 

Hearing your system was spectacular! Thank you.

Even though hard to quantify, I believe a major difference between your system and mine was how “present” yours was. I attributed this to your dedicated AC lines.

Inspired, I have set out to run the best dedicated line I can.

Always impressed by the products of the Japanese company, Oyaide, I got 50’ of their very special 10 gauge, three conductor cable. Also, 2 copper duplexes with heavy faceplates. Just this was $4500. And electromagnetic breaker and an electrician. About another $1K+.

My power chords are all Shunyata King Cobra. Not to mention Shunyata Triton/Typhon power center. All that about 10 years ago was close to $30K.

However, it waits to be seen if I still will need the T/T.

But you might say that I am focused on power…

Forgive me if this has already been addressed or if it's just outright naive, but, are the issues of circuit breakers, house wiring and receptacles all moot if you're using a power regenerator like a PS Audio P12?