Power Cables and Wall Sockets

Without knowing for certain, it seems to me that power cables can only be as good as the in-home wiring coming to the wall socket. Is it possible that those who use expensive cables have improved the wiring to the socket? Or is the power from most wall sockets normally excellent, but is limited by conventional power cables?

128x128imaninatural

That is highly unlikely. That’s because determining the proper wire gauge for a circuit includes considering more than just the amperage. Under the NEC, which sets the minimum requirements for electrical installs, you also have to calculate the length of the run and whether the cable is enclosed in conduit. I’m not calling you a liar, @retiredfarmer - you probably were just given bad info. It's just a simple fact that  using a 14 ga. wire on a 15A line is not by itself a guarantee of safety. Consider that the purpose of the breaker is to protect the wire in the wall.

@yoyoyaya @rbertalotto I can understand that the effect of upgrading power to improve sound has been a point of debate; however, there are some good recommended changes that I can make without spending a bundle (like better outlets).

If I have the experience of believing that it improves the sound, then I'll consider further upgrades. I'm not really skeptical about the improvements that good power can make empirically, but I also know that I hear with more than my ears.

The visual landscape makes a big difference in my enjoyment of the sound and my satisfaction of solid power could add another facet to my enjoyment. I don't have super high expectations, but would be delighted to be able to hear an improvement in soundstage, clarity and instrument separation. And that would actually be awesome!

First I'll upgrade my 40 year old electrical outlets, then go from there.

One thing that I am curious about is if upgraded power cables will eliminate the issue of my lights dimming when listening at reasonable high volume.

I had that happen to me in an older home. Over the years the connections at the wall outlet can become loose. The simple fix was to shut off the circuit at the panel. After verifying the circuit was cold, I removed the plate and pulled the outlet out from the wall just far enough I could get a screwdriver on the screws and tightened them up again. A couple were barely finger tight! Once retightened, problem solved! You might try this simple and free fix.

Happy listening.

@retiredfarmer thanks for your encouragement. I love that you said that it was hard to believe the increase in resolution from addressing the power side of things.

I was thinking of simply upgrading my outlets to Hubble commercial, but I may think on this a bit longer. The idea of changing an electrical outlet and having a "stunning" effect on the sound gives me pause!

@imanitaural, just to be clear, I am absolutely recommending that you address your mains wiring and outlets as a matter of priority. If the wiring is the age it is, I would really consider running in a new line, ideally dedicated to the hi fi. The insulation on mains wiring can deteriorate with age and if your amp is drawing the kind of current that dimming lights implies, you will gain a worthwhile safety benefit as well as better sound from replacing the wiring.

As regards affordable power cords, I've had good results from the Audience Forte, auditioning it against the much more expensive cables in my own system. It delivered very respectable results for the money.