Other factors affecting sound

I'm building a dedicated room in my basement and was wondering if I should care about in wall electrical wiring and Receptacles. Do these generally make a big difference. I assume anything should be better than builders quality material. Are there any specific recommendations? What about whole house surge protection? Also, I have an option to install a second electrical box, is this helpful? I have a 5000sq ft house in suburban area with very few houses near me. I have clean and stable power. Recommendations appreciated. 

ei001h

hi there ei001h - the biggest leap in sound quality I ever got in my system was by running a dedicated 10gauge furutech CB10 line from my distribution board connected with a 50amp german made circuit breaker. But I didn't run the line to a wall outlet - I hardwired it to a e-tp609 furutech unfiltered distributor with internals replaced with the same CB10 wire, each wired connection buttered with NP1260 contact enhancer from high fidelity. The increase in sound quality was so good, I don't run my amp or preamp through my SR powercell SX any longer - the leap in dynamics, air and timbre was that good. Cost for the change added up to USD2500 - or about the cost of a powerplant 3 from PSaudio.

You're so on track with your question, incoming clean and stable, or not : )

in friendship - kevin

Oh, I forgot to add, the wall outlet is one of the most overlooked parts of the power chain, as a great amount of interference gets through and into the circuit even with the already good hospital grade and SR orange type higher performance outlets. 

The furutech e-tp609 is shielded like a tank, second only to their crazy expensive pure power six; a little wasted as a distributor with a compromised power cord connection, but so very optimised if hardwired to the dedicated line.

I hope this comes in handy : ) - kevin

Thank you @millercarbon for your many valuable (and entertaining!) contributions on the subject of AC wiring. I have zero doubt your recommendations, based on practical listening experience, are sound – particularly the suggestion for using a single direct line.

My question has to do with the principal of eliminating connections. I understand your abhorrence of the way electricians normally run AC, i.e., from outlet to outlet. But I wonder if it is because of the antenna effect of longer, daisy-chained wiring and/or the added potential for noisy lights and other accessories to share an undedicated line? Or has it also something to do with the connections themselves?

My reason for asking is I plan to move my two-channel source/amplifier components into a separate room from my speakers. ONE dedicated line will be run from a 20A circuit on either the sub panel (~40’ away) or main panel (~65 feet away) to a power conditioner. All source/amplifier components (i.e., amp, DAC, turntable, and streamer) will then be plugged into that conditioner. Lights and other non-system accessories will be plugged into a different circuit.

My dilemma is how to supply AC to the speakers – each with its own powered subwoofer – which will be in a separate room. I could run an additional direct line to each speaker – but this would seem to violate the objective of keeping everything on one circuit and may exacerbate any antenna effect. Alternatively, I could run AC from the first outlet (where the conditioner and other components are plugged in) to a next outlet (for the left speaker) and finally, to a last outlet (for the right speaker), in a chain. But this would possibly result in more connections!

What would you advise given that my system is a fairly modest one, including power conditioner (Audioquest Niagara 1000), integrated tube amp (PrimaLuna Prologue Premium), DAC (Schiit Yggdrasil), streamer (ALLO DigiOne Signature with Shanti Dual Linear PSU), turntable (Yamaha YP-701 with Shure V-15 type III), and speakers (GoldenEar Triton Two+)? Additionally, but of secondary priority, I’m interested in specific product endorsements for AC wire, receptacles (including a single plug option for speakers) and panel upgrades (audiophile breakers?).

Again, thanks ever so much!

@samah Millercarbon is either on hiatus or banned.

(IMO) Outlets that get a monkey grip on the power plugs is a nice start.

Millercarbon’ s ID says he has been banned. Very knowledgeable… lots to offer… but also added a lot of attitude that made the forum less friendly. From a technical point we were virtually always of the same opinion. 

Remindes me of a lot of brilliant people that have worked for me. With brilliant frequently comes a lot of conflict with others.