Why is most everything remastered?

It's becoming more and more difficult to find what sound signature was originally meant by the artist. I have examples that sound terrible after remastering. I understand why it has to be this way, If and only it improves the original, if not... leave it alone!

voodoolounge

Do remasters count as a new work ?

Could be a way for record companies to extend copyright.

My experience has been extremely varied-- some remasters sound better to me and some sound worse. I made the mistake of buying the version of Layla most favored on the Steve Hoffman site (a Japanese SHM) and found it unlistenably bright. My system was quite warm and I failed to comprehend why the Hoffmanites liked it so much, given its (for me) fatiguing sonics. On the other hand, my Japanese DSD mastering of Blow By Blow sounds fuller and warmer than the generic domestic version. I prefer the Virgin remasters of Sticky Fingers. Let It Bleed and Exile On Main Street as well. These are just a few examples. 

Everyone hears differently but my experience has definitely not been that all remasters have consistent sonics. Unfortunately, some albums were simply not well recorded to begin with. 

Do remasters count as a new work ?

Could be a way for record companies to extend copyright.

Record labels do get a new copyright on a remaster.

@voodoolounge .Ahhh, the reason why my Zeppelin II Ludwig mastered vinyl skips.

I used to really want one of those.  Now I'm not that fussed.

I have, somewhere, a version of the 1812 Overture that I haven't played for so long I can't remember what version it is. I fear damage.

I don't know how many times Jimmy remastered his compositions but his most recent Zeppelin III sounds outstanding on CD. I just received a copy a few hours ago. The stripped down companion disc sounds like they're in the same room. Does anyone have the vinyl of his last master? I'm curious does it get any better.