TT speed

When I use a protractor to align the stylus I do the alignment at the inside, and then rotate the platter maybe 20 degree when I move the arm to the outside of the LP, or protractor.

On a linear tracking “arm” it would not need to rotate at all.

At 33-1/3, then 15 minutes would be about 500 rotations. And that 20 degrees would be a delay of 18th of a rotation.

So a 1 kHz tone would be about 0.11 Hz below 1000.
It is not much, but seems kind of interesting... maybe?

128x128holmz

Holmz, if you are thinking of how to prove or disprove your frequency hypothesis, I fear we cannot do the experiment in the real world, because we require a perfectly created, perfectly centered, and perfectly flat LP on a TT with perfect speed accuracy, in order to examine the phenomenon you claim exists (and others do too, in fairness). Imperfections in any of the foregoing elements would likely cause a frequency distortion that would drown out the effect you want to detect. Fourier or no Fourier. But we can argue until the cows come home.

By the way, I was thinking that your observation, that you have to rotate the platter by about 20 degrees in order to set the two null points using your protractor, is really a product of how your particular protractor was made. It is possible to imagine another protractor where the cartridge can be aligned at the inner and outer null points without having to rotate the platter at all.

@lewm I agree it is somewhat meaningless in term of the platter speed and W&F levels…

But ignore the protractor and just draw a radial spoke on the paper. And there too… as the stylus moves inwards walk in “platter rotation space”… (well all except a linear tracker)

We do not need to do an experiment, as we can do it all solely with trigonometry.
(I might write a program to show it.)

However for an experiment we could do it with a two arm table if one of the arms was a LT. Then we would time align at the start… or we would just do a cross correlation every so often to show the offset as a function of time, which is the time delay as a function of platter position.

This method (being a relative measurement) would remove all the W&F and platter speed, but still probably includes some effect from the offset holes.

@cleeds 

Your belief is easily disproved with a test record - it’s easy to measure the frequency of a test tone on an LP.

We've already shown that measurements reveal it doesn't exist. It's easy to measure a 1 kHz tone on a test record.

Unfortunately you can't see the wood for the trees.

If you draw a line across the 2 null points of a pivoted arm, and are using Baerwald for example, then at the beginning of the record the stylus is behind the line, as it crosses the first null point it will move ahead of the line, and then as you cross the second null point it will fall behind the line.

Assuming the record is travelling at constant speed, then the motion of the stylus forward and back relative to the line must alter the apparent speed, as seen from the record groove, albeit minuscule.

Your fervour for FFT analysis appears to be an impediment to understanding basic maths and physics.

Your fervour for FFT analysis appears to be an impediment to understanding basic maths and physics.

• The FFT is pretty much sub-optimal for anything but gross frequency related analysis.
  • There is the cross correlation (time domain) - which requires some known signal to compare the measurement to.
  • Or there is direct phase, which is superior to FFT analysis.
    • Phase is the derivative/integral of the frequency 
    • So the rate of change of the phase give us the frequency much more accurately than super long FFTs to achieve small FFT bin width.

Assuming the record is travelling at constant speed, then the motion of the stylus forward and back relative to the line must alter the apparent speed, as seen from the record groove, albeit minuscule.

You are really confused.

You are really confused. I’ve never, ever mention FFT analysis. You’re apparently confusing FFT analysis with the Fourier Transform, an indicator that you’re having issues with your "basic maths."

The Fourier Transform is the theorem which explains how digital and analog audio work. It also disproves your fantasy that phono cartridge tangency affects frequency. As I’ve mentioned, I can also disprove your fantasy by measuring the frequency of a test tone as it’s played from a test record. It’s not difficult to do.

Of course, you’re free to imagine and fantasize that you’ve found some flaw in the Fourier Transform. A Nobel Prize awaits you if you can show you calculations. Good luck with that!