Pro-Ject CD Box DS3 "Redbook" Player

Leave it to Pro-Ject to actually listen to what audiophiles are asking for. This new CDP uses the same Streams Unlimited CD-80 Blue Tiger Servo as their $3200 CDT top loader. If it gets the same improvements from reading a CD and one can live with its own internal DAC, this could be a game changer for the low, low price of about $760 (€699).  

Here's the skinny.

All the best,
Nonoise

128x128nonoise

@acresverde , Hey, it’s all good. It’s just that sometimes it can seem a bit confounding with the responses one gets. Hard to decipher intent.

As for whether or not the CD-80 supplanted the CD-84 is up for grabs. I’ve emailed Pro-Ject about that and have yet to hear back from them.

The way they describe it, it’s a 1:1 bit perfect rendering of the CD and that’s not mentioned in any of their other transports or players, save for the CD box RS2 T. This can all be an evolutionary and further development, or it could just be that due to the internal layout being different (top loader vs slot), a new board was required to occupy a different location and something new was worked out.

I also noticed that there are only two player/transports that use the Blue Tiger servos as none of the others mentions the use of them. I would imagine that just the use of them puts them in a higher category.

Time will tell until I hear back form them, but I plan on getting it and hopefully the reviews will address the matter.

All the best,
Nonoise

Time will tell until I hear back form them, but I plan on getting it and hopefully the reviews will address the matter.

All the best,

@nonoise69 

I was under the impression that you were getting the CEC TL5 transport based on your comments in another thread. I don't believe you could go wrong with either.  I definitely believe that you'll be very happy with the Pro-Ject.  The Stream Unlimited technology they utilize  is a difference maker in my opinion. 

Charles 

It seems that the Stream Unlimited Blue Tiger CD 80 servo board has been around since 2009 and is used for tray and slot CD applications,  so tried and true product. 

I believe that the Blue Tiger CD -84 is a newer application for top loaders and replaced the last generation of the Phillips CD-Pro drive mechanisms. 

Ah....so. The plot thickens. Pro-Ject makes no mention of it's use on their site except for the DS3. They also categorize it and the both top loaders as "high end" compared to the rest of their line. The DS3 is also said to be a new line with better build quality and CD drive suspension as well.

And yes, I was going to get the CEC TL5 but when I read of the DS3 using the Blue Tiger servo I got the notion it would be ever bit as resolving and musical as the top loader that uses the CD-84 servo. If so (and reviews will hopefully say), then saving over half of the cost of the CEC would be the clincher for me.

If not, then it's back to the CEC TL5. But I have that sneaking suspicion that with the Blue Tiger servo and new firmware to get that bit perfect 1:1 playback with a CD sled dedicated to CD only playback (and not an all purpose one), if it gets within striking distance of the CD-84 Pro, then it's the one I'll go for. 

All the best,
Nonoise

By the way, I came across this,https://www.suos-hifi.com/#

A simple scroll down to the CD- Boards section answers all my questions (chicken/egg) and shows the CD-84 to be an improvement over the CD-80. There’s also a CD-88 and CD-100.

There is no mention of what slot loader is used (the others are metal and plastic trays). Hopefully the slot drive is something new they’ve been working on or at least an improvement over what they’ve been using on the DS2 series.

All the best,
Nonoise