New Pre/Pro for 2 ch guy? (+How easy to set up RC in top units like Lyngdorf, etc)?

I'm struggling with whether to repair my wonderful Krell S1200 pre/pro or breaking bank to get new pre/pro for basic 5.1 setup that may or may not ever grow to 6.1, 7.1, etc. 2 channel audio is my prime concern, but I wouldn't mind finally seeing what room correction would sound like in HT setting.  Don't like idea that many p/p digitize analog inputs, as I have an Esoteric K03 that sounds amazing and I wonder if this will be a downgrade in sound.  However, been reading that something like a Lyngdorf sounds great, and room correction could make a big diff even in 2 channel.  How easy is RC setup on units like Lyngdorf, Trinnov, or AudioControl? (Assuming Marantz, NAD, Krell Foundation won't be up to par in two channel or in RC?)

Appreciate any help/insight you can provide.  Thanks much!!!

PS - Rest of system: Speakers: Revel Salon 2 L/R, Revel Voice2 C, B&W DS7 and XTC8 surrounds. Velodune sub. Amps: Mcintosh mc452, Sunfire TGA 5200. CD/SACD: Esoteric K03. Bluray: Oppo 103. Streaming: Sonos

jeffkad

Yes, if you want a wet blanket thrown over your speakers definitely get the McIntsh gear. Good luck with that.

It’s going to be really hard to beat the Krell S1200 because nobody uses discrete analog stages in processors anymore. Everything is op amp based (which can be good, but just doesn’t compare with the discrete Class A analog stages in the Krell). Also, the Krell has a very powerful high resolution sound.

You can go sideways and look for a Bryston SP3. It uses Class A discrete audio circuits both on the analog outputs as well as the fully balanced analog inputs with a "PURE PASS-THROUGH" mode where it does not convert analog to digital. Everything is converted to single-ended internally for volume control. It has probably the strongest bass I have heard out of a processor, but the rest of the sound is not as impactful as the Krell. Probably your best bet for a 2-channel solution. There is no EQ or room correction on this unit.

On everything else, I would look at units that have good linear power supplies. If you really want a Lyngdorf feature set, then look at a McIntosh MX-160/170/180. Those have the Lyngdorf digital/DSP section, but use all McIntosh power supplies and analog stages. Like others have said, if you want room correction, the processor is going to convert all analog input to digital for room correction DSP processing.

Just got bad news from Krell.  Processor is not repairable.  Needs new boards that are no longer in stock.  Ugh.

(soix, why the snooty response to the consideration of a Mc preamp? You were very nice in your original response.  I realize Mcintosh is a polarizing name, but I like what I've heard from them in past, and my mc452 amp is outstanding.  If you like other preamps more, please suggest some as I appreciate all opinions, even if I may not agree :)

auxinput, thanks for the input, which actually depresses me more lol.  Unfortunately the MX 180 is just way too much money, even used.  I'd like to keep it all under $10k (and closer to 6-7k if possible).  Will need to consider used or combination new/used.

soix, why the snooty response to the consideration of a Mc preamp? You were very nice in your original response.

My apologies. Admittedly I’m not a McIntosh fan. I worked for Magnolia for a bit and when they had the KEF Blades hooked up to Macs they sounded mushy, compromised, and not performing at the level they were capable of. But, if you like the sound and it works in your system by all means go for it, but the Lyngdorf processing is pretty darn special. If you want more Mac flavor in your system that’s probably your boy, but if you think you could use a little more upper mid and treble detail and air I’d go with the Lyngdorf. Again, best of luck in whatever you end up choosing.