Software Flaw In New Velodyne Subs?

I was trolling the Velodyne site and came across the following review:

Velodyne really missed the boat on the software, arbitrarily limiting the low pass filter to 40hz with the DD-15+. Those of us with full-range speakers that desire a bit of reinforcement in the deep bass are forced to compromise by this artificial limitation.

The prior DD-15's software DOES allow the low-pass filter to be user-set down to 15hz. It a shame that in order to get increased functionality, I HAVE TO GO BACKWARDS AND USE MY DD-15 BECAUSE I CAN'T GET VELODYNE TO PUT THE SAME FUNCTIONALITY INTO THE DD-15+. A SUPPOSEDLY MUCH MORE ADVANCED SUB.

I have owned Velodyne subs for over 20 years now and customer service has been great, UNTIL NOW. I AM NOW BEING TOLD THAT IN ORDER TO RESTORE THE FUNCTIONALITY THAT THEIR PRIOR PRODUCT HAD TO THE NEW (dd-15+) SUB THAT I ALSO OWN, IT WOULD TAKE "CUSTOM SOFTWARE", WHICH THEY DON'T DO. THEY HAVE KNOWN ABOUT THIS PROBLEM FOR OVER A YEAR NOW AND HAVE CHOSEN TO IGNORE IT.

Frequency...14.6 - 120 Hz
High Pass Crossover.....80 or 100 Hz at 6 dB/octave
Low Pass Crossover......40 Hz to 199 Hz (variable in 1
Hz increments) selectable slope
Default: 80 Hz @ 24 dB/Octave

According to the specs above, the sub goes down to 14 Hz. Does the subs' software limit it to go no lower than 40 Hz?

Can someone explain what this means? How would this be a limitation to full range speakers when the subs are used for 2 channel audio?
128x128mitch4t
A very big THANK YOU to all of you that have posted to this thread. Your responses really cleared up my understanding as to how subs work in a 2-channel system.

mitch
Fplanner,

Just a question re: measurements at the listening position:

Did you not get superior measurements with the sub crossed higher?

I've measured a dozen plus systems in a half dozen rooms and - with the subs crossed above 70hz - have gotten MUCH better measured results 100% of the time. Obvious exclusion: if there's full range room EQ (Audyssey, etc), the comparison is moot.

I completely understand if you prefer the sound of the system that produced worse measurements (personal preference trumps measurements, IMO), but I'm really shocked that you've gotten relatively decent results when the subs are crossed too low to address the bottom 2 octaves. I have never seen anything like that.

Marty
Marty-
So are other people when they come into my room, including Albert VS several years ago. The room is 19x20, has sloping ceilings left to right from 13' down to 8', and many openings on 1 side, so its impossible to pressurize properly.

I have Audyssey'd (new word?) the room, wrote down the numbers and am close to where I want to be. There are a number of room limitations, as it is my living room, complete with big dogs, etc. The results, all-in-all, are pretty good. The numbers are really pretty meaningless in my situation, since the open side leads into the rest of the house. So, I do the best I can and adjust the crossover to where it works the best for my room.

I trust my ears - I've had them a long time... :-) thanks for your input.
In the immortal words of Daniel von Recklinghausen, if it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad.
If it measures bad and sounds good, you've measured the wrong things. Just a thought... :-)
being a current dd12 owner, glad i didn't wait for the plus line release. i use my mains full range and only let the sub do some "back fill". a little added punch is all i was looking for and this set up does exactly that.

from what it sounds like, the new plus line wouldn't let me do that. after spending over a month tinkering with the dd12's settings, going full range with my mains sounded best. too bad velodyne doesn't agree with me (and they've never even heard it ! =) )