AN Niobium versus Tantalum resistors?

Has anyone compared the two? Non-magnetic versions.

I read an interview where AN said something like "The Niobium are amazing when used correctly in conjunction with the tants". Hm.

thanks in advance

clustrocasual

I've heard many things about the Z Foils and the Takman paper regarding their design is a logic aligned with many experiences I've had. We all have to prioritize based on the synergies and brands that resonate with us. In a perfect world, I would love to try them. Absolutely the only way to know anything for sure is to try it yourself.

If the AN resistors are too euphonic or feeling too inaccurate, I might go to the z-foils. Just when I think I master the logic of my DIY, I will get shocked with a failure and go searching in new territory :) Isn't that the truth?

Regardless..doesnt sound like too many people have tried Niobium.

doesnt sound like too many people have tried Niobium

think the price has scared a lot of people away. Would be most interested for you to post your findings 

I spoke to AN again, and they refused to offer qualitative remarks, saying it all depends on the balance and they do not use all Niobium or even all Kaisei in their equipment. Not surprised there. Still, I am placing my order.

I finally found a review, google-translated from Polish :

Tantalum resistors, such as several versions of Audio Note or Shinkoh, sound sweet, dynamic and slightly rounded, especially in the mid-bass. The relaxation of these resistors can take away too much coldness and sharpness, or unnecessary tension in the sound. Bold bass adds bulk to the sound when it is too thin and contoured. The voices move forward and fill. Their disadvantage is the lack of the deepest bass and excessive sweetness.

Rikens play super neutral and have deep bass. The mountain is resonant. If the source is too sharp, it may sound too lean. With a well-balanced system, this is the best choice.

Z-foil pulls out teeth during the burn-in process, then it is very neutral. Great for shunt volume attenuators.

Takman REX is bland and neutral.

You can write for so long, but we have to focus on AN NIOBIUM 2W.

Each resistor requires a laborious burn-in process and it is no different in this case.

The first hours are my full fascination with the sound! It is somewhat reminiscent of the best 2W tantalum resistors. We have a thick sound, full of proper weighting. It looks like it’s an absolutely perfect resistor. We have an amazing detail completely unheard of with such a mass of sound. In addition, we have a stretched, clean treble and very deep bass.

Then it is worse because we experience what with Z-foil resistors in the burn-in process, i.e. the sound becomes too sharp and flashy. It doesn’t reach the size of Z-foil, but it can be painful.

After about 30 hours, everything stabilizes. What do we get in the end?

The sound is ideally even from the top to the bottom of the band.

The tone is brilliant but not the golden and sweet richness of tone that tantalum resistors have.

There is no specific thickening of the middle bass. The resolution is higher than that of tantalum resistors. You have to be a little careful with them. I recommend gradual changes and trials and mixing of AN Niobium with other types of resistors. Replacing all of them with AN NIOBIUM can be too painful for the ears.

Is it the best audio resistor in the world? Maybe....

Based on the HiFicollective website, the AN Silver Tantalum resistors are more than twice as expensive as the AN Niobium resistors.  In the audiophile world, the price of two of them to use as series resistors in a shunt type VC should not break the bank.  They actually do sound great in my buffer - a touch of body and glow.  My Khozmo passive that uses Takman REY metal film with two zfoils in the series positions sounds very "clean" in comparison (when used with the buffer).  Maybe I should let those break in a bit more before judging, however, the Amtrans AMRG resistors in my Hattor passive sound just right when used with the buffer.  The only way to figure out what you like in a particular application would be to actually try them.

obviously there is reasonable sufficiency... sound is affected by any details, resistors are not as noticeable as capacitors, transformers...
Qvortrup likes to praise himself...
I would have bought Vishay for myself - and forgot ...