Indicators of worn/bad capacitors?

I'm sure this topic has been addressed before, but perhaps I can ask again: What indicates capacitors are in need of replacement in a solid state amp? Specifically, my system seems a bit harsh/bright lately.  Nothing else in my system has changed (LRS, VPI HW-19 with Mörch UP-4 arm/Sumiko BP#2, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Cambridge CXC CD-2, Classé Audio DR-9 with very few hours on it, various cables). Could that be an indicator of bad capacitors?

Thanks in advance,

KAC

kacomess

visual clues include swelling, discharge of any substance at the base of the capacitor, heat discolouration and general old age (although old caps can still function OK).

Post removed 

over all the years, SS or Tubes (already broken in): on, 20 minutes, listen, off.

nothing changed, no obvious noise problems when on/no content playing, I suspect visual inspection (above and below) will reveal nothing.

Is it possible something subtle is going on with your hearing? Anyone else familiar with your system agree harsh/bright?

confirmation of problems, and/or confidence in your system, primarily your speakers placed thusly in your room, can be achieved by two inexpensive tools,

sound pressure meter, tripod mount, set at ear level listening position

test cd with specific frequency bands to compare band to band, I acquired several test/demo lps and cds, I find this one, tracks 9-38 easiest and informative

Thanks for the insights! I'll take a look at the capacitors today and I'll try leaving the system on for several hours before listening. I haven't listened to it in >6 weeks so maybe that's part of the problem.

As for other listeners' perspectives, that's just my wife. She thinks the entire enterprise is "nuts" and says, "It sounds fine. Stop worrying about it."