Ifi Zen Streamer plus upgraded power supply - the streamer to beat??

Hi Fellow Audiophile nerds,

I know everyone likes to put a plug in for whatever products they happen to have in their system. I'm no better. But, I thought it would be worth sharing my experience with the ifi Zen Stream paired with an upgraded linear power supply, because it sounds great and seems like a really good value for what you get.

The ifi Zen stream is a small device, purpose built, with USB output. It cost me $400 USD on Amazon. Has been favorably reviewed by many including Absolute Sound, Audio Excellence Canada, and others. Some reviewers mentioned issues connecting to wifi, but I haven't had any problems. Ifi claims the product downloads firmware updates automatically. Streaming via Tidal Connect has been rock solid for me thus far.

I added a linear power supply from a British company called McRU - recommended by the British Audiophile. McRU makes a power supply for the Zen Stream and it costs around $350. 

So, with this $750 combination, it seems I have a streamer with most of the features that you would find in high-end streamers from Auralic or Aurendor, and they retail from something like $3500 and way up. What I don't yet have is I2S output and a really good internal clock to reduce jitter before going into my DAC. But, Denafrips offers 3 digital to digital units, with their entry level Iris going for about $550 USD. So that's another option for those wanting to improve performance further.

How does it all sound? Going from a Bluesound Node 2i using coaxial output into a Denafrips Ares II, to the Zen stream with upgraded power supply USB output into the Denafrips Ares II the upgrade was very significant. More clarity, darker (less noisy) background, better instrument separation, and overall the sound seems to have a bit more weight to it.

Just thought I'd share this, and would love to hear others' opinions and experiences. 

joshindc

I think what makes the iFi sound so good is the filtering and the clean signal it's giving your DAC compared to the Node.  Wouldn't your DAC already be cleaning up the rest of the signal too?  Not sure how much you could really improve the sound from the iFi without moving up and spending more on a different unit.

Nice share. Could you have saved $50 with an iPower Elite?

Roughly the same $$ as an Allo USBridge Signature and a Shanti.

Except they are sold out.

Hi blkwrwgn (that's a mouthful) and fuzztone (much easier).

I get a lot of my advice from the British Audiophile youtube channel - highly recommended. He has two videos, one on the Denafrips Iris (www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tKWWs-OMxw) that does a great job of explaining all the differences between digital outputs and why USB is better than coaxial, and I2S supposedly better than USB; and another video on upgrading your streamer/dac with an external power supply (www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmiLQ9ifb0A)

As I mention, if you want the I2S output and your DAC accepts I2S, then a device like the Denafrips Iris should be a cost-effective upgrade that still puts the price of the Zen Stream/Power supply/Digital to Digital package well below (comparable?) streamers from Auralic and Aurender and others. 

As for external power supplies, the British Audiophile says he compared an iFi power supply with a linear power supply from a company called McRU. He found the LPS to be a significant improvement over the iFi power supply, though the iFi power supply was certainly an improvement over your standard cheapo wall plug (switch mode power supply).