EAT E-Glo Petite Hybrid phono stage

I’m considering upgrading my PS Audio Nuwave phono stage and the EAT was recommended by a dealer I’ve purchased from in the past. Has anyone compared or own the EAT E-Glo series phono stages. The Petite is definitely affordable at $1495.00 but will it make enough of an improvement over what I currently have?  

I’m using a new Zephyr MIMC Star cart on an Acoustic Solid TT with an Audion 300b Special Edition Integrated amp into Zu Soul Superfly speakers. 

Thanks,
Rick

128x128rickraymond59

So I am using the Rega Ania Pro on an RP6 and have solid state Rega Aria preamp.  Will i see improvement going to one of these tube preamps?  I have no tubes in my set up.

“So I am using the Rega Ania Pro on an RP6 and have solid state Rega Aria preamp.  Will i see improvement going to one of these tube preamps?  I have no tubes in my set up.”

I had a ss Parasound jc3+ phono pre and it was excellent. The problem was that I was stuck with a single sound signature that worked well for some music, and not so much for other music. This is why I ended up going with a tube phono pre. It was easier for me to fine tune the sound to my liking simply by installing the right tubes in it. There is a tonality to tubes that ss cannot duplicate ime so long as they are the right tube match for the phono pre.  My former Project DS2 tube phono pre with 1960 Baldwin tubes was much better than my more expensive Pro-ject RS ss phono pre. To me, tonality is most important along with low noise. The EAT Petit with the Baldwin 1959 tubes is even better than the Project ds2 tube phono pre, but not by a whole lot (pre 1994 Ei tubes are also very good). The Project would be the better value of the two.tube rolling can be fun (and sometimes expensive) and can also be a pita! It’s a good thing when you can find a tube that works extremely well but doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. The Baldwins (Raytheon) are such a tube.

Based in part on the great insights offered up in this thread (and my fondness for my E.A.T. C Sharp with a Clearaudio Maestro ebony MM), I’m leaning hard in the direction of a Petit (with Sbooster and maybe some rolling down the road). Out of curiosity (and in the same proice range), does anyone have experience in comparing the E-Glo Petit to a Sutherland Insight with linear power? I would be running one or the other through a (new to me) PrimalLuna EVO 400 power amp and pre; my speakers are Dali Euphonia MS4s with (mostly) Acoustic Zen interconnects & power line; also added a REL S/812 sub last year. I’m already pretty close to maxed out in terms of the cash I can pitch at the system right now, but suspect the Sutherland KC Vibe Mk2 that I’ve got on order may be a bit underwhelming when run through the top-line Prima gear. Any thoughts specifically between the more midrange Sutherland and the Petit? Or is the basic Sutherland an appropriate match to get me started with the tube side of things?  Tempting though it may be going further up the line in either E.A.T. or Sutherland is not in the (rapidly melting credit) cards right now.

I have no experience with the Sutherland, but I can’t imagine it outshining the Petit with the right tubes. I would get the Petit with an 18v Chinese linear power supply for around $120 and spend the difference on nos tubes with the savings of the price difference vs getting the sBooster. I have a Chinese linear ps I bought on eBay and it’s been working great and does slightly improve the Petit dynamics. I think in the long term, you’ll appreciate the ability to tailor the sound of Petit with tube rolling with future cartridge or other component changes that you likely will make down the line.