Audio nonsense

In this wonderful world of audio that we journey through folks selling stuff have sometimes been inventive in what they claim. In your trip down this road what sticks out as the most ludicrous thing you’ve seen someone try to sell? 

I can point to 2 things. When I first saw a Tice clock in a store I thought it was a gag. Next- Peter Belt. 

128x128zavato

Hate to show my audiophile ignorance djones51 but I don't even know what that graph is or how to read it. 

Care to explain. 

Flat frequency response. The flatter the response, the more pure the audio. Sound pressure level is represented on the left of graph, aka decibels, and bottom is our human hearing frequency range, aka bandwidth. The two lines represent left and right channel. djones51 is using a Digital Signal Processor in order to achieve much of this response and I must say ... that's pretty impressive. Have I done screwed this one up or am I right ? ;-)

It just shows a slope of the FR from my listening position. Yes, it was done with DSP which shows bass traps are not always needed to smooth the nulls or absorption for reflections. DSP isn’t really doing a whole lot above 500hz. IF I could post the whole MDAT file it would show a lot more, distortion, waterfall, IR etc... I could never achieve anything this smooth by ear or in a living room without measurements.

One thing It isn’t going to tell you is, if you like the sound of these speakers but access to calibrated mics and software at very little expense to do measurements is essential in my opinion to get results like this.

Post removed