Dunlavy SC IV Speaker- Any Good???

Anyone own these ?

I realize the company is now Defunct

and was Colorado based. 

At 200 lbs each and 6 feet tall they

will not be missed in a room.

But they actually weigh the same as 

my last speakers but with only one third  the footprint.

Okay the little woman may see it as a lateral

move but...

chorus

Unless you are willing to drop multi thousands more on something new, that would be a heck of a get.  And if doesn't work, it wont be because the speakers.  You'd be able to sell then quickly.

I have owned the SC-3 signature collection since new.  They are as musically lucious and the drivers are in perfect condition. John Dunlavy and Geoff Poor did a near perfect job of making speakers

I would take to heart the warning others have made about the likely age of the SC-IVs. Over time, certain mechanical and electrical aspects of a speaker can degrade, making their perfect repair a real nightmare.

Is there any evidence that that this is a likely problem?

We could use the same logic with a car, and get a new one each week to avoid some issue.

I suspect that this is more factually probable:

I have owned the SC-3 signature collection since new.  They are as musically lucious and the drivers are in perfect condition. John Dunlavy and Geoff Poor did a near perfect job of making speakers

Chorus

i am sorry to hear that you did not proceed with the transaction.

Let me share my recent experience….

I bought the Dunlavy Athena and shipped by air from the Netherlands to Singapore. Apparently this set was owned by the Dutch importer for Dunlavy. Condition is comfortably an 8 out of 10. I was amazed by how good condition the speakers are. There are about four light scratches which I fixed. Sub-woofer, mid-woofer and tweeter appears to be in good condition. The sound … wow!!! 

I have a pair of Atohm GT3HD which is not a walkover, this retails at around US$10,000. I have now shifted the Atohm as rear surrounds for my home theater. The Atohm probably has about 90 per cent of the Athena, where it makes a difference is on some tracks the Athena has more details, bass goes way down deep, sounds big and has the imaging and depth. 

I have always known about the Dunlavy since 2001/ 2002, like the sound but never really attempt to buy one due to the imposing size as well as the unusual shape. Therefore when the local Singapore distributor sold off all the units in 2006/7, I knew my chance had gone and forgot all about it until about 6 months ago.

I brought my CD player, amp and speaker cables to my friend’s place and he has the Corinthian I. Using the below tracks convinced me what I have missed all these years. Bearing in mind the main variable is the speakers, I came home and plugged in the same CD player, amp, speaker cables onto the Atohm and what I heard broke my heart. I knew I have to look for a pair. 

Using Jennifer Warnes’ Way down deep (not many floorstanders can handle the deep bass) and Fourplay debut album demonstrated the difference.

I know it is a crazy thing to bring a 23 year old speakers halfway around the world, I am now a happy person. I do understand parts could be failing. Together with my friend who owns the same model ( the Corinthian I), we have spare drivers, no doubt they may not be as closely matched as the original install, this will ensure the speakers can operate for a long time.

I am sure there are many better speakers around, just sharing my experience. 

I know it is a crazy thing to bring a 23 year old speakers halfway around the world, I am now a happy person. I do understand parts could be failing. Together with my friend who owns the same model ( the Corinthian I), we have spare drivers, no doubt they may not be as closely matched as the original install, this will ensure the speakers can operate for a long time.

I would not worry that things will be failing unless you are driving them super hard.

I am sure there are many better speakers around, just sharing my experience. 

There are not many speakers that were/are better. I don’t think is is crazy at all to have seeked them out and shipped them (1/2 way across the flat earth.) ;)