Is Old Music Killing New Music?

I ran across this Atlantic magazine article on another music forum. It asks the question if old music is killing new music. I didn't realize that older music represents 70% of the music market according to this article. I know I use Qobuz and Tidal to find new music and new artists for my collection, but I don't know how common that actually is for most people. I think that a lot of people that listen to services like Spotify and Apple Music probably don't keep track of what the algorithms are queuing up in their playlists. Perhaps it's all becoming elevator music. 

Is Old Music Killing New Music? - The Atlantic

128x128femoore12

Distinction between old and new has not much meaning, save if we speak about money going in the pocket of living musicians for their living...

There is only great and greatest music, not old and new for me....

I had way too much absolute masterpieces to listen to non stop to search for the "new"...

I search for masterpices , old or new, the date make no differences...Nor the country or culture of origin....

@jssmith 

+ 1, you hit the nail on the head with adjectives: "monotony, simplistic and formulaic." Most of the so-called new music sounds like everyone involved was following some type of recipe. Poor songwriting is bad enough; but, there is a serious lack of stellar musicianship that could lift the poor songwriting above the level of mundane muzak or sonic wallpaper.

This is a complicated subject with no easy answers. Someone once said: "there is nothing new under the sun," which is another way of saying it's a copycat world that we live in. The thing that worries me the most about this subject is that I don't sense the kind of non-conformity by young musicians or listeners that is needed to shake things up and create something new or transcendent.  I hope to be proven wrong on that one. 

Check out the radio broadcast "Extra Eclectic" for new, exciting music.

If you dare.

is this old or new?

I dont give a damn....

It sound pretty much near the "eternal feminine soul " to me....How about Eve in the garden?

A thousand years old tradition sang nowadays how do we called that?

It is "jazz" from India to my ears....Not less beautiful than Ella Fitzgerald for sure....

Hypnotically beautiful ....

For this thread , i will change the title for: "old ears" listening always the same tunes are killing the eternally new.... 😁😊

By the way the population of India is : 1.38 billions, 4 times de US....

They have some musicians and some unknown instruments that are among the finest instruments ever created by mankind.......

How many americans confuse the simple veena, the rudra veena and the vichitra veena and the chitra veena , the sitar and the sarod?

Who know the hypnotical power of the sarangi?

I can goes on here about many thousand years old Indian "jazz" musicians.....

Dont upgrade, buy some "new" music.....😁😊