Is Old Music Killing New Music?

I ran across this Atlantic magazine article on another music forum. It asks the question if old music is killing new music. I didn't realize that older music represents 70% of the music market according to this article. I know I use Qobuz and Tidal to find new music and new artists for my collection, but I don't know how common that actually is for most people. I think that a lot of people that listen to services like Spotify and Apple Music probably don't keep track of what the algorithms are queuing up in their playlists. Perhaps it's all becoming elevator music. 

Is Old Music Killing New Music? - The Atlantic

128x128femoore12

One thing I know that has changed over the last 30 years here in the US is the reduction of arts programs in public school education. The arts are always the first to get the axe in every school district across America. I have some familiarity with the issues since my wife is a theater director and fine arts director for a school district. 

Parents and schools just don't push their kids into the arts (music, theater, art, etc.)  like they used to do decades ago. The focus is STEM and athletics. Athletics for college scholarships and STEM for the big engineering payout (🤣). All the people I worked with during my record store days were all art students and almost everyone was in a band. Those stores gave those kids a place to hand out and talk music and who was playing with what group locally. That is gone. 

Found that quote from Rick Rubin pretty thought provoking. I'm a child of the 60's and love the music from the 60's, 70's and 80's but am also constantly searching for some of the great music available through streaming. 

There's a ton of great new musicians and music out there. 

@tgilb 

There's a ton of great new musicians and music out there. 

I agree with you on that. Once I started using Qobuz and Tidal I began finding a lot of new music. 

It's three a.m., there's too much noise
Don't you people ever wanna go to bed?
'Cause you feel so good
Do you have to drive me out of my head?

I said, hey, hey, you you, get off of my BarcaLounger

@yyzsantabarbara ,

What is the FM station you speak of? Are they online? I’d be very interested.

Thanks.

JD