rothwell attenuators..effect on sound?

i am considering getting a pair of these and using them between my integrated amp and cd player to reduce some excess gain. i did read that they will cut volume output by 10db which is why i may buy them. but will using these change the sound quality at all? i did read one professional review that stated cd's sounded softer and less "digital" sounding, which was good for bright recordings, not so good for others. does his observations match the opinion of others here who have used them? thanks for your input.

regards,
Paul
ptt660
I bought the comparable goldenjacks attenuators on eBay and did not notice any difference other than the lower volume level. Made my volume control much more effective. Very high quality construction for less than the Rothwells. Search goldenjacks on eBay. I have no affiliation with this seller other than as a satisfied customer.
They'll provide a bit of warmth to the sound, but the price might allow you to overlook this. If you want something neutral and transparent get the Endler or EVS attenuators. I have had all three of these and the EVS are the best. They are back in production so you don't have to look for a used pair.

The EVS and Endlers are 24 step switches so you have flexibility instead of a flat 10db. Also, if you have a single source system you could use them in lieu of a preamp.
I am using them now and highly recommend them. I bought them to reduce some excess gain and have more range on my volume control. I was running the Volume at 7 on a scale of 6 thru 6, now it runs between 8 and 9 at comfortable listening levels I found another use for them, I now biamp and they work great in matching the gain between the two amps my tube amp has a gain of 38db my solid state 28db by putting these on the IC's right before they enter the tube amp I have a seamless match. The build quality is first rate and I found no change in the sound quality