To Buy or to DIY, here is my question

If I buy the speakers that appear closest to what I desire

they are $11k new and $8k used.

If I buy the raw speakers and build it 

the speakers alone are $2.2k.

That is a 3 way system.

Still must add costs of XOs and cabs.

Assume the total custom build cost would be about $3k.

The $8k speakers used are Proac D40Rs.

The raw components would be from ScanSpeak and SB acoustics

and include 10" woofer, 4.5" Mid and a planar ribbon tweeter.

MadiSound provides XO advice. 

Comments???

chorus

ditusa,

Thanks for that link. Now there is one on the list. 

To build a speaker cabinet without it doesn't make sense. 

1. Stronger joint for structure integrity.

2. More bonding surface than traditional 45 miter.

3. Provides an air tight seal.

When I purchased my first locking miter bit I purchased it at Woodcraft. I figured I would ask the staff there as the majority that work there are seasoned woodworkers who have a shop. 

None of them had experience with it nor could advise. 

Personally, I would not build a cabinet without this joint. 

What's the point of your post?  In the aerospace industry, our typical markup was 5x-10x the parts cost to cover the rest of our operational costs plus profit.  Never begrudge a manufacturer just because you can't figure out what their cost of doing business is.

If you build the speakers yourself, you had better like them because you will find them difficult to sell. Unless you have a trade account, you will be paying a multiple of what the manufacturer pays for the components. There is also the opportunity cost of your time. The chances of getting better sound than a speaker from an experienced designer (sadly now deceased in the case of Pro Ac) who has spent decades refining his designs are slim.

fatdaddy2,

Exactly. Hiring US workers with US taxes, US healthcare, US utilities etc. these ever increasing costs need to be recouped in every widget a company produces. 

As a manufacturer if you don't know your true cost of doing business you better brace yourself for impact. 

If I buy the speakers that appear closest to what I desire

they are $11k new and $8k used.

@chorus 

What is it that you desire?
can you intimate it with words?

I heard some Devore O/96 the other day that threw a wider stage than i expected.
And some coffins Moab things should be relatively easy to make a large box for.

The main problem is making them sound good.