Those who seek to deny access to information

Like many/most here, one of the main reasons I frequent audiogon is to gather information. I am looking for ways to enhance the enjoyment I get from listening to music on my system. The information most valuable to me comes from those who share their actual experience with products that I am interested in, but have not heard in my system.

The audio community is a diverse one, with many opinions, ideas and perspectives. Many of them differ from mine, and that is fine. Those who disagree with me are free to make posts and start threads about whatever they choose. This doesn’t bother me, I am free to choose what I read, and what I don’t.

What does rile me up up is deliberate attempts to deny me (and others) access to the information that I value. There are some here who repeatedly seek to disrupt, sidetrack, derail, and shut down conversations about topics and products that trigger them. They do not contribute any useful information or experience to the discussion, and make disparaging comments about things they have zero experience with. They are bullies who mock, ridicule and provoke those who use, make and sell certain products. They seek to stifle any discussions about, and especially positive opinions of, the products and people they clearly have a vendetta against.

They can start their own threads, and talk about what a fool I am all day long, I don’t care. Their deliberate and repeated attempts to deny myself and others access to the information we value, however, are intolerable.

tommylion

you have chosen Audiogon as your forum. no one holds a gun to your head to stay here.

if you want a different forum culture where listening is more respected, and price does not get many members panties in a bunch, then go somewhere like that. like this place;

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/forums/

there is plenty of information there, with generally much more depth than here for the most part. 

this is an egalitarian ’everyman’s’ forum. any sort of viewpoint is tolerated. this is a commercial enterprise, and being all inclusive is the very tip top priority. it’s not run by members, it’s run by a company. nothing wrong or right about that, but many audio forums are run by the members.

personally i like Audiogon, and have been here for 2 decades. but it’s not my main hang out place since it does not fit me that well. i’m here when it works for me.

i’m not judging, just calling it like it is. Audiogon is not changing. so you might need to.

mikelavigne,

Thanks, I will look into that. Unfortunately, audiogon has changed over the time I have been here😕 I am reluctant to abandon it, though, as it has been a valuable source of information and comradship to me.

no need to abandon anything. simple to sign up for another forum and sample it. observe how both places deal with your question. you may find many familiar members there as here, but more focused discussions and not the crazy ’fly by’ attacks and distractions from ’ne’er-do-well’s’.

then decide where your focus should be. just don’t wait for Audiogon to change to post. not ever going to happen.

The Internet is a vast resource, but no one forum or platform satisfies my particular interests, which are always morphing. In some ways, you have to create your own network of contacts, friends and resources. I've found that most audiophiles, designers, manufacturers and engineers are pretty generous in sharing their knowledge. You'd be surprised at their willingness to talk with you if you email or phone them. 

I took a look at some of the discussions you started and many seem to be about DIY tweaks--DIY Audio is yet another resource you might tap into. 

I developed relationships over the years, some from contact on chat fora, that have endured. This, despite the fact that some no longer post at Audiogon, perhaps for the same reason you identified. I guess it is incumbent on you to seek out the knowledge you want and find the people who can best fulfill your needs. To me, there is no "one stop" place for that. And part of the enjoyment, for me, is the research and learning, which has its own rewards. 

Good hunting. 

Bill Hart