Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
@Kefas

Thanks for posting that Carmen Gomes "Ray" on the previous page. Carmen has such a vocal approach. Sexy and sultry from the heart and soul with class.

This blues session of Carmen’s really grabs you in the gut!!!

CARMEN GOMES SINGS THE BLUES (Full Album) - YouTube

I have been visiting Carmen's website quite a lot the past week!!

Carmen Gomes – 'Souljazz with a Bluesy touch'

mahgister

Wow! Thanks...

another good one...I must look also for him and listen...

Ok please no new guitarist for 2 days here...

It takes times to look for them and listen... Wait for 2 days...

Great guitar selections by all.

Don't forget Wes

Wes Montgomery Live In 65 - YouTube

Kurt Elling is a class act. One of those singers that makes one think “musician” even more so than “singer”. He sounds fantastic on this. Thanks. The performance would have been even better if the orchestra (conductor) played with a bit more style and attitude. Even in ballads the backing orchestral playing needs a little swagger, a little more romance to work with Jazz . This conductor is too stiff for this music. Elling is doing all the heavy lifting; and sounds great in spite of it.

True, frogman , I knew it was a pick up band but I thought I would never get Ellington and Mingus in :" Sound of Love :

I have seen many times that top jazz men’s face showed their respect

for Elling .

I never thought he was anything but a musician , 1st class .

There is a fantastic clip on here  with two Elling  helpers , the Great German WDR  with Bob Mintzer  on baton ,

I don't thing you could ever do better ! Elling gives all he has , he knows he can't  do   better ! I can not to anything  without  a page  that says  PASTE .