Your method for discovering great music.

I'm in a slump. It has been a while since I've discovered new music that I really like. And when I say "new" I mean new to me. Maybe even rediscovered would count as new.

I do not have a method. I usually stumble into new music that I like. I also don't have loads of hours to sort through tons of stuff I don't like. Plus I find that random sort of pursuit to be frustrating and unrewarding most of the time.

Amazon Music had half decent 'recommended for you' lists but I don't recall if that ever paid off. I use Qobuz now which sucks in that particular department.

I've found a few bands that I like from recommendations here at Audiogon but I have not been here much lately.

So I'm curious as to how some of you approach that search for great music that is either actually new, new to you or rediscovered.

n80

Stereophile, The Absolute Sound, a HiFi+ all have a review section at the end of every issue. I just search Qobuz for the ones I find interesting… I only think one was not there when I tried.

@tyray I live in the Charlotte, NC radio market. And much like Charlotte itself, the radio offerings are pretty cookie cutter. In fact, its a wasteland. At least in terms of rock/indie etc. I don't know about jazz. I still scan the channels in the car but you are not going to hear anything new or interesting on Charlotte radio stations unless I'm missing something after being in the area for 25 years.

One exception is WDAV out of Davidson College. It is a fantastic classical music station. I'm only marginally into classical though.

There is an oldies station south of here that is pretty good. They occasionally play stuff I've never heard from the 60s and 70s..........but there is a catch.......the reason I haven't heard most of those is because they are AWFUL. ;-)

Several people have mentioned the various "what are you listening to" threads here on Audiogon. I used to frequent those threads and over the last few years I have been turned onto some artists that I remain really fond of.

However, what you mostly get in those threads is just a name of a song or an artist or an album. Nothing wrong with that. But from the perspective of looking for recommendations these threads don't offer much more than that. It would be awesome if people would include why they are listening to that song or artist, or what they like or dislike about it, what it means to them. I know that takes more work but it would certainly have more meaning than simply what another person is listening to. For whatever reason it seems very popular simply to state "I am listening to 'x' " and leave it at that.

Radio supplies me with lots of random artists I would otherwise not know about( I’m lucky that I live in a market with two public radio stations, a great jazz station and a great classical station).

Radio Paradise is another good source. 

I also have a close friend who’s mother was a concert pianist/composer/broadway musical writer and he has been a great source of artists.

And then there is YouTube. In between my searches for DIY audio how too’s, gear reviews and news stories, there will be some random artist that shows up in my feed. Beth Hart was a recent “discovery” for me. 

Sometimes, it’s just about letting the randomness of the universe express itself.

@n80,

Did you try the AM stations?...:) Just kidding☺

@n80,

It used to be that way but take a look at @mahgister’s post on this thread and press play. You will see he has posted an active video link of a particular artist with added commentary. Scroll back and press play on the YouTube video @mahgister took the time to post and write about.

I don't know about jazz. 

It's been right in front of you all this time and you haven't noticed it.

On this very agon site many post on Jazz for aficionados everyday a ton of music and have been doing so since 2/24/2013.

Only recently has the moderators made it possible to post active music links from YouTube.

Some of us don’t need a lot of commentary when being introduced to new music.

All I need is for someone to say, check this out, then after I’ve heard the (album) tunes then we can talk. You are mistaken if you think there is no communication between the posters there. Take a closer look.

Go on, take another look at Jazz for aficionados and click last, then go backwards and you will find so much new ’active’ content and commentary it will take you hours or even days to get through it all. And there is some serious music presented there.

Check it out, remember to click last and go backwards until you get what it is I’m talking about and let me know what you think. Now if you don't like Jazz...