What Is So Special About Harbeth?

SLike probably all of you, I just received notice from Audiogon of a 20% discount on Harbeth XD. I clicked on the tab and found that the sale price is about $2700. I have read so many glowing comments here about Harbeth — as if just saying the name is the password for entering aural nirvana. I admit, I haven’t listened to Harbeth speakers. But looking at these, they just look like smallish bookshelf speakers. I’m not questioning how good others say these speakers are, but HOW do they do it out of an ordinary-looking box?

Is it the wood? Is it the bracing? Is it the crossover components? Is it the cone material? What is the reason why these Harbeth’s are such gems compared to other bookshelf speakers? What is it about the construction or technology that makes these speakers a deal at $2700 on sale versus the $800, 900 or $1,000 that others normally cost? What is the secret that makes audiophiles thrill to get such a costly bargain?

bob540

There are others that compete with Harbeth and are better in some regards but Harbeth has a unique sound.  Very smooth, sparkly, just delicious sounding.  I haven’t heard them at high volumes but low to moderate volumes, they sound really sweet.

I was enchanted by the Harbeth sound after hearing the P3ESR and Super HL5 Plus at a friend's house.  The detail and soundstaging were amazing, and as others have said, the midrange.  It was easy to close your eyes and imagine Jennifer Warnes a few feet away and hearing every breath as she sang.  My friend went on to the 40.2s, which were incredible.

I ended up buying both for my home.  I'm still in love with the P3ESR which are set up in a small system near field with a small sub.  The Super HL5 Plus don't hold up (in my room, with my gear) when pushed to loud volumes.  I usually listen at moderate volumes but like to rock out once in a while, and that's when things get a little bright.  I also have a pair of Stirling LS3/6 which are based on the same design as the Super HL5 Plus.  They are not quite as detailed but are a little easier to listen to at higher volumes and are soundstage champs.  You have to hear them to appreciate them.

I love my Harbeth’s, but would not recommend them for hard rock, they are in my opinion, not ‘fast’, they do not “rock”, by which I mean AC/DC sounds polite. Amazing for vocal, acoustic, classical, blues, jazz, but if Pantera or Ghost is your cup of tea, I’d suggest other speakers. They don’t sound bad with hard rock, but I have heard much better with other speakers for that type of music. 

During the lock down I saw a special offer from the local dealer for the 40.2. Because of the Harbeth hype, I spent 12K without auditioning them as they were sealed / new pair. At home, I discovered it was very limited in its abilities no matter the electronics or the set up. For some types of music they excel and for some others, is difficult to endure. Make sure you audition with all types of music and various volume levels. No experience with other Harbeth models.

Harbeths are very precise, a little bit too relaxed at some points, but when you have them well placed, away from the wall and not toed in too much, they can be quite fantastic. However, I have had as much fun or more with Klipsch Cornwalls, sometimes a bit of colouration is a good thing.