Supper's Ready

Okay. Here we go. Just finished a head to head comparison of Supper's Ready from the original Gabriel vinyl version on Foxtrot vs Collin's vinyl version on Seconds Out. First, both are amazing. Collin's version wins the live performance aspect obviously. Gabriel's version just has that raw, young person's angst to it. It really can't be redone. I tried to make the Collin's version compare and it just ain't there. Granted, if you never heard the Gabriel version you would think the Collin's version was the cat's pajamas. My 2 inane cents. 

ricmci

@paulg1966 . Thank you for bringing up the retro-Prog Neo Prog genre. I was confused about the categories of music until I heard about retro-Prog Neo Prog. I suspect that refers to those dudes in The Big Lebowski though I could be wrong???  If I am mistaken in my interpretation, my apologies.

You're missing out on the best version which is the live take on the '70-'75 box set. -Scott

Second's Out is one of my favorite albums. I am a huge Genesis fan and like both eras but at the end of the day I prefer the Collins versions of all the songs overall.

I am also a fan of Peter Gabriel and while Genesis would not be Genesis without him, I gravitate toward his solo artist material. 

As for Supper's Ready I think the Second's Out version is the winner. I also am rather partial the the last two sections performed after the In The Cage medley on the Invisible Tour in 1986 here in the US.

@larsman 

Yes, I know "Strange Days".

Back in the mid to late 70's in LA, there was a 2 hour radio show on Sunday nights, on one of the major rock stations.

It was called, "Over There", and they specialized in prog from all over the world, It was a sponsored by a record store with several branches, called Moby Disc. They, of course, specialized in music, mostly prog, from all over the world.

That is where a friend and I found out about "Strange Days", as well as so much more, obscure bands from many countries, besides the UK.

@simonmoon - that is very cool! I'm familiar with Moby Disc, though we didn't have that up here in San Francisco, where I've lived since '73. In the '74-'76 era, one of the big stations in San Jose, KOME, was all prog, all the time - it was brilliant!! I picked up on so many wonderful bands through them - one who they really championed was Man, from Wales, but also Camel, Caravan & the Canterbury sound, etc - they mostly stuck with British, though they'd get some Continental stuff and 'Krautrock' as well. I didn't hear about Strange Days from them, though - a real prog junkie friend of mine turned me on to that amazing album. 

Do you like Marillion and/or Fish at all? Early stuff especially was very Genesis-influenced, as were Fish's vocals then. The first time I'd ever heard of Steven Wilson was when Fish's 'Sunsets On Empires' came out, and I saw this guy produced it and co-wrote a lot of it.... I hung out with Fish and the lads when they were here in SF on the 'Clutching At Straws' tour....