Bit the Dollar and bought headphones.

Finally went ahead and ordered a set of headphones.  The Focal Stellias are on there way from Moon Audio in North Carolina.  A headphone amp is next.  I’m currently using my CD players, a Marantz headphone amp.  There’s a Sim Audio headphone amp with dac I’m looking at advertised here on Audiogon.  I know I’ll want a seperate dac also eventually.  I’m tempted to buy a discreet headphone amp and use the dac in my Cambridge Audio universal disc player for now.  The Sim Audio Moon is very nice and just within price range used.  I was looking at a Woo and Rogue, both tube.  I’m split between the Sim Audio and the Woo 22 v2 and Rogue Audio RH 5. I haven’t gotten any feedback on the Rogue.  I’ve gotten feedback on both the Sim Audio and the Woo so I’m thinking one or the other.  I do realize I’m comparing solid state with tube.  Please give me feedback on the sound characteristics of aforementioned units.  Interconnects come after the amp.  Suggestions are greatly appreciated.  I can not afford a penny over the price of aforementioned amps so I’m limited to about 2500 for the headphone amp.  Other suggestions are greatly appreciated.  Used is obviously an option as I’m looking at entry reference level. This will be an endgame headphone amp for me unless I win the lottery.  Thanks.

paulg1966

I’m using a Marantz CD players dedicated headphone amp as a source

No!  You can’t insult those nice ‘phones by powering them with a damn CD player.  Shame on you!  Stick a crowbar in your wallet and get a decent headphone amp and DAC.

@soix LOL!  Your not kidding.  The headphones are so accurate and revealing they point to the source being extremely lacking in quality. The phones also reveal a lot about the source recordings.  I’m learning a lot with these headphones.  They are that good.  I want to take my time so I buy the proper amplification and dac.  I’m used to this source and its good enough to steer me in the correct direction.  I was going nuts upon first listen.  I wanted to return them.  They sound so much better yet the source is again extremely lacking in power in all registers.  I can not drive the phones enough for proper dynamics at preferred listening volumes.  High volume especially suffers the consequences.  Since I’m driving the phones to higher levels for bass etc., the lower volumes suffer also.  Still they sound miles better than the Sonys.  This would be Sony WH-1000XM2.  I’m looking for that sound I had as a youth listening to vinyl with very old and heavy Sony headphones.  I may have had an old set of acoustic research headphones too.  I’ll  have to be happy at lower volumes for now. Did some listening last night.  The headphones are coming alive even with the lacking Marantz.  I want to get some more recommendations on amps and dacs after the community gets a better idea on my tastes.  Thanks.  I’ll post later.

I decided to go with the Woo Audio WA 22.  Music is very dear to me so I’m biting the dollar again.  One question for Woo and other tube amp  owners as a lot of tube owners listen to classical music.  How are tubes, this particular amp with progressive rock.  Progressive rock is a very demanding and dynamic music that requires proper amplification as with all music.    I do love classical too yet primarily listen to symphonic progressive as related to classical.  Anyone familiar with Renaissance to old Genesis knows what I mean.  I also listen to bands such as Haken and Dream Theater.  This is progressive metal.  In other words I need an amp that is versatile when it comes to music.  I was looking at the Sim Audio Moon with dac yet this looks sold.  I can not afford this one new and am not waiting anymore. As for the Stellias I’m happy.  Haven’t done enough listening to make further review type comments.  They are again extremely revealing.  I found with the cd head amp I desperately need a headphone amp for proper listening as I’m stuck with a very small volume range for semi quality listening.  I would greatly appreciate any comments on a good power cord for the tube Woo as I’m all but sold on it. Thanks.  Paul.